Tuesday, May 13, 2008

More worms!

It rained all night and all day today. Which means there were more worms everywhere! Ewww! Every time I see one I can feel my stomach do a flip and I squirm and jump and sometimes scream. Gross. Eventually, I'll have to get over this.

I'm watching the Diamondbacks game and they're kicking butt! The first inning was practically batting practice. 9 hits in the first 2 innings. Pathetic for the Rockies.

All of a sudden, my blog is popular. I guess it helps when I actually tell people I have it. Ha.

So apparently, today's blog is randomness. I'm still waiting for my physics professor to post our mid-term grades on blackboard. He is usually very prompt with his grading, but not today!

Last weekend Daniel volunteered (although it was required for his writing class) at this thing called Project Homeless Connect. The city of Denver partners with DU to provide a whole day where homeless people are bussed to our campus and provided with all kinds of services. They could apply for housing, get a birth certificate and ID, apply for a job, get food stamps, settle misdemeanors in a make-shift court, and even get a haircut or massage. So Daniel's job was to play with kids while their parents took care of things. Anyways, today in our school newspaper there was a special section with articles about different people who came. They were all so negative! One article began with the sentence, "Fida came to DU hoping to leave with a job and a home, but left with just a T-shirt". The reason she didn't get a job or a home? She refused to give anyone her social security number. How the heck are you supposed to get help if you don't give anyone your SS number? Another article was about this 19-year-old girl who was kicked out by her drug-addicted Mom and also left with nothing. She wasn't provided food stamps because she missed too many days of work, she couldn't get housing because she didn't have any children, and she couldn't get any money because she wasn't disabled or elderly. How depressing. It really makes me feel like all this effort was worth it to help the homeless people of Denver. Seriously. Ugh.

On a brighter note, I really enjoyed choir today. Usually by 4pm on Tuesday and Thursday I am sick of school and want to go home and get some dinner, but today I really enjoyed it. We're to the point now where we know all the notes and everything, and we can just focus on making beautiful music. In the beginning of the quarter I really liked our spirituals, but this one song called "A Child Said" has really grown on me. I love singing it because I feel like it's meaningful and beautiful. The lyrics are a peom, I think by Walt Whitman. You can look it up if you're that interested. And I've also made a bunch of new friends since we got new seating assignments. Some of the girls in choir are really obnoxious (I mean really obnoxious), so they kind of dominate the group dynamic. But I am finally getting to know the quieter girls.

Tomorrow is registration for next year. I am taking general chemistry, concepts in biology, and a core class (required for all students, regardless of major) called "Life's Aim" that studies how people come to decide what they are going to do with their lives. I'm only taking 12 credits which makes me feel guilty regardless of what my parents, Daniel, and everyone else says. They are all convinced that my biology and chemistry classes are going to keep me very busy (along with the two jobs I am applying for) and that it will be better to take 12 credits so I can really focus and do well in my science classes. I can see their point, but I feel like if we're paying for 18 credits, why not take at least 16? And if that means I can graduate earlier, then that means I can move out earlier, get married earlier, have kids earlier, and grow up earlier. But, as I tried to figure out what my fourth class will be, I discovered that because of the two three-hour labs a week, I can't fit another class in my schedule. So the school made the decision for me. Oh well, hopefully that means I'll get really good grades and make lots of money.

I have sort of applied for two jobs for next year. One is an LA (learning assistant) for the physics class that non-science majors take . I will be attending class with them (so it's only like 4-5 hours a week) and going around and answering questions and helping them with example problems. Daniel is going to take that class so that'll be really nice if I get it. My current physics professor is the professor for that class too and he decides who gets hired. I would get paid $600 each quarter. He is such an awesome teacher (note to self: subject for another blog) so I will really enjoy working with him. And the second job is working at the desk of my residence hall. There is supposed to be a student sitting at the desk 24 hours a day to help people who get locked out, give people packages, and just monitor the residence hall. One of Daniel's fraternity brothers is in charge and he has already offerred me the job. So I can bring my homework and sit there and get paid ($7 an hour, but it's something). So right now I'm waiting to hear about two jobs. I've never really had a real job (besides work-study in Boston) so this is really exciting!

The Diamondbacks just won. Man was that pathetic. It ended like 20 minutes early and the Rockies sucked it up.

Okay, this is long enough. And very random. However, randomness is good.

No comments: