Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm depressed for no reason

Today was actually a really good day. But I'm depressed right now and I can't really tell why. Except for the fact that I am so sick of the dining hall I could scream, and I'm tired, and I still didn't get a letter about the summer internship. I don't feel like those should really make me depressed though.

In psychology this morning, we learned about OCD, depression, and suicide. What an uplifting class, huh? It made me think about a lot of things. About myself and people I know. It was an interesting but also kind of unnerving class. I don't like talking about that stuff. I don't know why, it just makes me very uncomfortable.

In physics, my next class, something good happened! Before class, I went up to the front of the room to ask Dr. Iona if he uses the same textbook for his NATS Physics class and my Physics class (I wanted to know so that I wouldn't sell my textbook if Daniel could use it next year). He said no, they use an easier book. Then he asked if the Tuesday and Thursday 2-4pm time slot worked for me next year. I told him yes, and he said Good! You got the job. I thanked him and asked how many students he had signed up for it. He said about 80. I told him that was surprising because none of my friends want to take it. They all think it will be too hard. But I was telling them all that the professor was really good (a little sucking up never hurts). He smiled and then class was starting. So it's nice to know finally that I have at least one good job next year.

After physics, I ate lunch (by myself- I hate that) in the dining hall. Nothing looked good, so I resorted to the old standard pasta bar. I got a couple spoonfuls of bow-tie pasta and this weird-looking tomato sauce. I went to sit down, took one bite, and it was crunchy. Pasta is not supposed to be crunchy. So I threw it out and left. No lunch for me. For the next hour until my next class (American religion), I read the textbook and tried desperately to stay awake. I suffered through my next class until I could go home and took a nap. Then Daniel called and woke me up to go have dinner with him. I was tired and grumpy and once again really annoyed at the crappy dining hall food.

And now I'm here, biding my time until a choir rehearsal tonight. I don't want to go. It's a 15 minute walk and it's been 60 degrees, cloudly, and damp all day. Yuck. But I think once I get there and start singing, I will actually feel better.

Yesterday for Memorial Day we had no class, so Daniel and I went downtown to go shopping. I wanted to buy some nicer tops because all I have right now is a bunch of T-shirts. I gave myself $100 budget (the amount of money I will get back for my textbooks). At Banana Republic I tried on a million shirts because I absolutely love everything there. I finally narrowed it down to two tops I definitely wanted to buy, and a halter top that was absolutely adorable on me (and Daniel really really liked it), but it was $50. A little more than I would normally spend on a halter top. After a lot of rationalizing, Daniel and I decided I should go for it. And, when we got to the register, the salesperson did a good job of selling us on a Banana Republic Card. Daniel opened one, so we got 20% off! That made me very happy. Between the two of us, we would have spent $225, but it went down to $180. And I spent exactly my budget. Actually, 99.80, but that's pretty close. And Daniel and I both felt so great buying beautiful, well-made clothes. We both love BR and talk dreamily about the day we can go there and buy whatever we want.

So, in summary, I should be in a good mood. I feel slightly better now, especially after remembering those cute shirts I bought yesterday. I have to go to rehearsal now, and then I get to watch the Diamondbacks. That makes me happy too.

2 comments:

beth said...

1) how can you not like psychology?? It's flippin amazing!

2) you bought 3 shirts for $100.00?!?!?!?!?! holy cow why would you do that? Last week i got 3 pairs of shorts and 4 shirts at anchor blue for less then that! and i know you could do better...what the heck??

Rachel said...

1) I do like psychology (I'm minoring in it after all), just that class was quite depressing

2) When you buy things from banana republic, they are slightly more expensive. But the good news is they last a long time, and fit very well. Plus, they're made out of nice fabrics that feel good. But I see your point.