Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's National Teacher's Day

Today my physics professor kindly told us that today is National Teacher's Day and we should all email a favorite teacher of ours. So, in light of the occasion.....

Mrs. Kennedy,
Today is National Teachers’ Day and I wanted to thank you for being my teacher. I learned so much in your class. I really feel like your class set me up for the success that I have today. Not only did you teach me math and reading, but also organizational skills that I still use in my classes. I remember working with Crossing the River with Dogs and learning to think through difficult problems systematically. You taught me to think that way, and not to give up when I am given a difficult problem. That became especially useful in my first semester of college physics!
I also feel that I developed my love for learning in your class. I remember being frustrated with a particular difficult problem, and feeling pride when I mastered it. That is what I love about learning. Many books that I was introduced to in Honors Reading are still my favorites. I can’t count how many times I have read Number the Stars and The Giver! And overall, I had a good time in Honors, which made me happy to be at school.
I am almost finished with my first year at the University of Denver. My major is biochemistry (and a minor in Psychology and Physics). I don’t know if you could tell when I was younger, but I believe that my brain is hard-wired for science and math. Although I think in elementary school remember that I was much better at reading than math. I had such a hard time with pre-algebra in sixth grade. That has definitely changed! I hope to use my degree to do research for pharmaceutical companies and develop new medications to help people.
I will always remember you as one of my favorite and most influential teachers. I hope you tell all your students that they are lucky to have you as their teacher. And that they will have wonderful memories from your class for the rest of their lives.

Sincerely,
Rachel Burton

Thanks Mrs. Kennedy! You rock!

No comments: