Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New friends!

Today was a pretty good day.

Last night Daniel had to work the desk from 3am-7am. I was very lonely sleeping all by myself :-( And then when he came home to go back to bed, it was time for me to get up for my 8:00 class that I so desperately wanted to get into. And I'm really glad I did. The teacher is a no-nonsense kind of profesor. She gave us a pop quiz today (the second day of class). It had two questions apparently from the homework (that I didn't know about). First question: Who is the composer of the piece we are listening to? I read it, and completely panicked. It wasn't in the reading I did and I had never heard it before. The second question: True or false. If you paraphrase, you don't need to cite the source. Well, duh. They practically pound this into our heads freshman year. False. So I went back to the first question. I listened to the song very closely. The class is called "Beethoven to Berlioz" so that gave me a clue. I thought of course it has to be Beethoven. But, after listening to the song, I thought "This sounds a lot like Mozart". So I gave it a shot. She came around and collected the quizzes and.... I was right! I was so proud of myself. The class is made for people who know nothing about music so the day I missed was about pitch and rhythm and dynamics and tempo and easy stuff like that. Today we listened to Mozart's symphony No. 40 and learned the "sonata form" that he follows to a T. I never ever knew there was a specific format for classical music. It was so cool to follow the story that way. I think I'm really going to love this class.

Then I had biology, and it was somewhat boring, but quick. Then spanish which was also quick. And I was done! On Wednesdays I'm done at noon. It was a nice feeling. I came home and discovered Daniel left the room a complete mess so I cleaned it and then I met him downstairs for lunch. We had some errands to run and some work to do at the desk and then at 3:30 was my choir audition. I tried not to think about it too much because I knew I would get nervous. The fact is, pretty much anyone gets in. I just hate singing by myself in front of people. I am a choir kind of person. I harmonize well, but my voice just isn't very pretty by itself. I was glad because part of the audition was sight reading. That's definitely my thing. If nothing else, I can sight read well. Except today. I totally bombed it. For those who know what it means, I completely lost do and just ended up on some random note by the end. But I got through it. She told me that I was welcome to come on Tuesday to Women's choir.

Tonight two of Daniel's residents came over because they missed our first floor meeting on Monday night. We ended up talking for like an hour. One of them is a biology major and she took the classes I'm taking now last year, and I took the classes she's in now last year. So we compared notes. And they are both in a sorority and they kind of got me thinking about rushing. They seem like they are very much like me, so maybe I will fit in with their sorority. I told them I'm not that kind of girl, and they said that they aren't either. Dues are really expensive though, so I don't know about that. I'm still thinking about it. But anyways, we made two new friends. They are really nice so I hope we will see them and talk again.

1 comment:

beth said...

holy smokes! i suck at sight reading, at least you got in to a choir! I think you should try the sorority...you need some girl friends.