Monday, September 1, 2008

Moving in the freshmen

This morning I spent four hours helping freshmen move in. I was with the Theta Chi boys representing their fraternity. My official title is "Theta Chi Sweetheart". They're going to get me a shirt and everything. It was exhausting and I have lots of sore muscles, but it was fun. It was crazy and hectic! All of the freshmen move in between 9am-12pm today. There are only two elevators for each tower, so we ended up taking the stairs a lot. I was actually impressed with how organized everything was. Check-in went very smoothly because there were a lot of RAs helping. And there were people to direct traffic with the elevators and staircases, and people at the desk to answer questions. I felt like a hero because I helped a bunch of people with their mailboxes. Last year Daniel's key got stuck in his mailbox all the time until he finally learned a trick to get it out. I taught that to a bunch of the incoming freshmen.

I remember how exciting it was to move in to my dorm room. I was so anxious to get everything put exactly where I wanted it, meet my roommate, and explore campus. The great thing about helping freshmen move in is that you get to meet a lot of them. I helped so many, I'm not sure I'll remember their names, but at least I'll remember their faces. They didn't seem as nervous as I was, but I'm sure some of them were. There were people from all over the country. We met people from Chicago, Long Island, California, and my hometown of Scottsdale!

A few weeks ago we hosted a party in Scottsdale for incoming freshmen. We met all of the students and their parents and answered any questions they had about DU. I am so glad that we did that because I recognized three of them just today. I'm going to try to invite them to activities on campus in the next few weeks. Daniel also invited a lot of guys to come to Theta Chi rush events.

I start working this week. I have training on Wednesday to work at the desk at Nagel. I'm not really sure what will be involved with that job, but I think it will be pretty easy. Because of Daniel, I have made so many friends in the past week that are involved in Residence Life. Last night we had cookies and ice cream at Daniel's boss's apartment up on the fifth floor of our dorm. They are such nice people. So those are the people I will be working with at the desk in Nagel. And then next week I will start my job as the physics Learning assistant. I think I'll go take a nap now. It's been a long morning.

No comments: