Monday, September 8, 2008

First day of class

I woke up this morning excited for the day. And now I sit here upset, angry and frustrated. It's been a very long day.

As I wrote in my blog last spring, I had a very hard time picking my classes for this quarter. It was difficult for me to find classes that fit in my schedule and actually helped me meet my major or minor requirements. I have one major and two minors. There are PLENTY of classes that should fit into those categories. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I ended up registering for three classes and planned on showing up to a fourth and hoping the professor lets me register then. In my experience (and a lot of my friends), professors are generally very willing to allow you to register over the limit that is set on the registration system as long as you show up to the first class. Well, this professor wasn't. She explained that because this is a writing-intensive course, allowing extra students will make a lot more time grading papers for her. And lucky for me there were about 15 other students that were waitlisted (besides the 15 that were actually registered) for the same class. So I left the class and went straight to the academic advising office. Bad idea.

I sat there for an hour while this incompetent guy went over all my requirements and looked for something that would fit in my schedule. He obviously didn't know how to use his own programs. He had to keep opening up the windows task manager and closing it out and re-logging in. He did that 4-5 times in the hour I was there. He also deleted every single one of my classes and tried to re-register for all of them. Multiple times. Every time he deleted everything and then couldn't bring it back up, I had a little panic attack. So by the end of the hour, I was right back where I started. Three classes, but paying the same tuition as those students taking four.

After doing my own research, I found another class that looked interesting. It's about beethoven and romanticism and classical music. It's a core class, which means you have to be a junior to take it. According to my progress report, I will be a junior next quarter. I am about 15 credits short. I emailed the professor, asking her to allow me in. I was confident that she would. I even bought the textbook. But she emailed me telling me that I have to be a junior to take her course. End of story. I am so incredibly frustrated. I WANT to take four classes. I am PAYING to take four classes. Yet nobody on this campus will let me! There is no class that will fit in my schedule that I am eligible for. None.

1 comment:

beth said...

oh my gosh, why were you not screaming at the dumb guy??? that would piss me the f off.

Why dont you take an extra class that has nothing to do with your major. Something fun?