Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A day at the zoo

Today was the first day in 3 weeks that Daniel was all mine! No RA stuff, no Theta Chi or anything. So we decided to go to the zoo! It was a beautiful day. It was warm in the sun and cool in the shade with a cool breeze blowing. I had training this morning for my new job working at the desk of Nagel so we left right after that. Our friend Wes also came with us.

The Denver zoo is really cute. All the cages are very open. There aren't any tall fences or anything so you feel like you are really close to the animals. And in some of the cages you can actually get really close. The lions were sleeping right near these big glass windows. They stood up and yawned and I could not believe how big they are. I don't think I've ever been that close to a lion. We saw just about the whole zoo in 3 hours. And right when we were leaving, it started to sprinkle a little bit. It was just perfect. Daniel and I were exhausted, but Daniel has to do the mail before 6:00 on Wednesdays. So I guess I didn't get Daniel for the whole day. But that's okay. I have been helping him with the mail so it goes faster and we have time to spend together. I don't mind it that much. It's exactly the kind of job I like. Very systematic. We check to make sure the mailbox number matches the current resident. If it does then it goes in the mailbox. If it doesn't, we have to look up the resident's last name in the computer and forward the mail to their new address. It's very time consuming, but it should get easier as the year goes on. Right now about 80% of our mail is for residents that lived here last year. It's very annoying that people didn't remember to change their address because it makes a ton of work for us. While I was helping, Daniel's boss Jessica came in. She said that I'm practically an RA already. I'm really glad that she doesn't mind me helping out. I really like all of the other RAs and hanging out with them, and I don't mind helping them with their work at all.

Now that all the freshmen are on campus, it's much busier. There are groups of freshmen everywhere on campus doing different activities. And the dining hall is crazy! Normally we never ever have to wait in line to get our food and there's always open places to sit. Last night we had to wait in line for 30 minutes just to get into the dining hall and we got the last open table. I think mostly it was because all of their parents are here so they were eating in the dining hall too. And only one place was open on campus. Usually there are 3 or 4 places to eat. We ate with our friend Kendra. She is from Phoenix and Daniel knew her when they were both in high school. So now she's going through orientation and everything with all the other freshmen.

Today I got an email from Dr. Iona. He was my physics professor last year, and I am working for him in his NATS Physics class this year. NATS Physics is like Physics for non-science majors. Daniel and a bunch of my other friends are taking the class, so it should be a lot of fun. I have to read this big long research paper about how students learn physics the best and review the material for the first two weeks of class. I am really excited because for once Daniel will have to listen to me talk about science! Last year I always asked him about his music classes because that's something we both understand. We were both in band and choir in high school and we both play many musical instruments so it's something that we both enjoy talking about. But when it came to my science classes, Daniel was clueless. I would try to explain something really cool that I learned that day, but he just didn't get it. Well now we will have something science-related to talk about together. I know he will like the class because Dr. Iona is really good at making physics interesting and not difficult.

Tomorrow I am going with Daniel and all the other RAs to do a service project. We are putting together food packages for families in need. I love doing community service projects like that. It's always a lot of fun to do stuff like that with friends, and I always feel good helping other people. That's probably why I always liked mission trips in high school and stuff. You get to meet such interesting people when you volunteer too. Daniel checked with Jessica and she's going to let me come even though I'm not an RA. And tomorrow we are also going to Jessica's son's birthday. He's turning 2! The invitation said that we are having "cake and ice cream and everything Landon loves." He's so cute!

It's obvious that I am still really busy. I think that I will be very busy basically until this weekend. And then school will start and I will be busy again! But that's the way I like it. Who wants to go to college and sit around and do nothing? That's dumb. This is way better.

No comments: