Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Another difficult day

I ended up getting into that class. I emailed the professor in a last ditch effort to convince her to let me in. I was practically begging. I explained that I am almost a junior, and I can't take any other classes, etc. So she emailed me back and told me that usually they don't let sophomores take core classes because they are already filled up by juniors. But, her class is not full, so she is graciously allowing me in. As long as I have an add/drop slip in her mailbox by 10:30am tomorrow morning, she will sign it and I can come pick it up and turn it in to the registrar's office. I did that, so I will be in the class tomorrow morning bright and early at 8:00am. I don't even mind that it's at 8:00. Daniel has to be up that early anyways and he wakes me up when he gets up.

My day was actually pretty good on the school side of things. I had a meeting with Dr. Iona this morning to go over some stuff before I start TAing for the physics class. Then I had spanish. It's been so long since I have taken it, and my professor insists on only speaking spanish. And we can only speak spanish too. So the whole class I feel like I'm concentrating so hard on trying to understand what she is saying and trying to spit out what I'm trying to say in a foreign language. It's an exhausting hour. But I'm improving. The stuff I used to know is coming back slowly. It's frustrating because if I have enough time, I can figure out how to say anything. But the professor moves so fast asking questions and waiting like 5 seconds for us to reply. Daniel is helping me with my homework and stuff. He is much better at speaking it, and I am somewhat better at writing and reading it. Then I had psychology which I am really excited for. The class is about half seniors and half sophomores and juniors. It's also about half psychology majors and half other majors. There are actually a lot of biology and chemistry majors (like me!) and psychology minors. The professor is really young and laid back. She is also very excited to teach this class. It's about motivation and emotion. She was explaining today how that is a very new field of study and it's really taken off in the last few years. I don't think it will be that difficult of a class. Just like every other class, if I attend class and do the readings and assignments, it shouldn't be difficult to pull a B. We ended early thank goodness so I had time to grab some lunch before my next class. My last class of the day was NATS Physics that I am TAing for. Daniel is in it and it turns out about 15 other people I am friends with. I had no idea all those people were taking it. I can tell it's going to be a fun class already. The students were very willing to participate and Dr. Iona is a great professor. After that class is when things went downhill.

Daniel is so busy being an RA and Theta Chi and his insane class schedule and practicing tuba he is just so busy all the time. I text him a lot throughout the day since we don't see each other between classes and we can't have lunch together or anything. But lately I have just felt really neglected because he is busy all the time. It seems like I'm always competing for his attention. But we came to an understanding tonight so hopefully we will find some time to designate as like a date night or something where he's not allowed to answer his phone or practice or anything. Another thing that made me upset is that I got a call from my boss that I was supposed to work tonight. Oops. I guess I forgot. I didn't even have it written down or anything. He said that someone else covered it, no big deal, but I feel terrible. Especially because I'm friends with my boss, so I feel like I let him down. But I offered to cover someone else's shifts this weekend. Daniel is gone on an overnight retreat with all the other Nelson RAs on Friday night so I am going to work from 7pm-1am. That will be a long night. I'm a little bitter about this retreat thing, so working will keep my mind off it. I just don't understand what they have left to talk about. They just spent 2 entire weeks together training. And after one single week of class they have to go on an overnight trip together to get to know each other even better. I love all of the RAs in Nelson, I just don't understand why they need another 10 hours together after those 2 weeks preparing. But it's not my decision, so I just have to deal I suppose.

No comments: