Friday, February 27, 2009

Happyness

The past few days, I've been really happy. It's really obvious to me when I'm in a good mood, because I wake up in the morning optimistic and excited about the day instead of trying to think of a good reason to miss class and sleep in. I haven't been sleeping well, but last night I slept really well. That may have been due to a certain drink I had that night, but that's okay. I have also had very little homework thanks to all those tests earlier, so I've had lots of free time. That's given me a chance to spend time with my friends. The night before last I was out until almost midnight (on a school night!) making posters for a program that Daniel, Hope, and some other RAs are co-sponsoring.

Last night I went to a Theta Chi recruiting event. We played pool and had dinner at our on-campus sports bar type place called the Pub. I didn't play pool, but I ate and socialized. While we were there, they were playing some really terrible music. That hip-hop stuff with the f-word every other word and extremely vulgar names for women (if you know what I mean). Normally, I would just let it go and ignore it. But after an hour, this really terrible song came on and I couldn't stand it anymore. I couldn't believe that a University-owned food establishment would play music like that. Especially because DU talks about "diversity" so much, and to become an RA we had to go through this whole class about offensive language and racial slurs. So I went up to the bar and politely asked them to change the music because it was really offensive. I didn't act righteous or arrogant or anything, I just said it very politely. I purposely chose to ask a girl to change it too. I saw her walk over and ask a guy to change the music and he made a face. But I already had my food, so I didn't care what he thought.

After the Pub, we went to one of Daniel's fraternity brother's house. Actually three of his fraternity brothers live there. It was Seth's 22nd birthday. It reminded me of his 21st birthday last year at which I had a great time. And I had a great time last night too. He had beer which I really can't stand, but for all the ladies he thoughtfully provided rum and coke. And the rum was so good! I'll have to remember the name for future parties. I met lots of new people. But, Daniel, Jeff, and I all had class this morning so we left pretty early around 11.

This morning I got my O Chem test back and it was even better than I thought! I got a 94 and the class average was an 83. Much better than our midterm. It made my whole day :-) Then I found out that my biology professor threw out one of our questions on our last test, so I actually got an 82. That didn't really make me that happy. I still feel like I should have done better, but there's nothing I can do now.

Other than that, I've been working all day. Literally two hours on, two hours off since 11am. And it's moms and grandma's weekend, so we have to be on our best behavior. It's so fun to see everyone with their moms. I wish mine was here. But I'll see her in less than a week! For the first time in about 4 years, my entire family will be living under the same roof. It'll only be for like 4 days, but I'm still excited. We're all going to a spring training game together next Thursday. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with the whole family, plus Mike.

No comments: