Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day of Love

Today was so much fun! When I went down to the car, there was a note that said "how about lunch at Maggiano's? Pick me up at the music school on your way there." So I drove over and he was waiting outside.

I found out that this morning before I even woke up, he had planted all the different notes, bought flowers and put them at the front desk for me, gotten a hair cut, and tried to get the car washed at two different places. I guess when it's below freezing, car washes close. It was really really cold today. It barely got above 30 degrees. Anyways, he had done all of that stuff before I even woke up! I was amazed.

So I picked up Daniel and we drove to my favorite restaurant Maggiano's. It's at this mall downtown. We got there pretty early, so we had time to stop in Banana Republic and do a little shopping! They were having a big sale, so I couldn't resist buying Daniel a really nice shirt for Valentine's Day. Then we had lunch at Maggiano's. It was so delicious (as usual). I love that place! We purposely saved half our meal for lunch tomorrow.

Then we drove to the Denver Art Museum. I have never been there, but lots of my friends have and they all said it was great. It's huge! The building looks really strange because there's not one right angle in the whole thing. I think it's ridiculous to sacrifice functionality for "art," but I'm a scientist so my opinion doesn't matter. Anyways, they had 7 floors and two buildings of exhibits. We started on the second floor with modern art and oceanic art. That was pretty boring. Up one floor was a whole exhibit on the human form. There were paintings, sculptures, and other mediums all of the human body. One painting looked like a photograph, it was so realistic! Another painting was of three young black men in their street clothes matching the pose of another famous painting from the renaissance era. This artist is famous for going into the street and asking ordinary black people to come into his studio and pose for him. It was really cool. The most famous piece that the museum has is this really life-like sculpture of a woman. It's called "Linda" and she's laying down with her face down and a cloth draped over her strategically. It looked so real, I expected her to get up and talk to us! It was almost embarrassing like we accidentally walked in on her sleeping naked in the museum. Weird. There was also a small exhibit of these modern chairs. All different really strange shapes and colors. My favorite exhibit was the European art. There were rococo and neoclassical paintings from the renaissance era that were just beautiful. I love seeing the clothes they wore and the elaborate fabrics and furniture in the paintings. Next to that was an exhibit of beautiful quilts. Then there was a whole room of old furniture. Really ornate mirrors, vases, chairs, armoires, and desks. I so wish that furniture like that was still made today.

We had to come back to school because Daniel worked at 3 and I worked at 5. While I worked at the desk from 5-7, Daniel went to the grocery store and bought food and made us dinner. It was so delicious! The whole day was so much fun. I felt so cultured going to an art museum and it was so nice that Daniel and I can enjoy stuff like that together. I'm really glad we have so many of the same interests. After dinner we watched "Runaway Bride," but I had to go back to work. So here I am. I'll probably get a lot of homework done tonight. What a fun day!

No comments: