Sunday, February 15, 2009

More Planning Europe

Ever since I talked to my grandparents about Europe, I have been super super excited! A little tiny part of me wasn't sure it would happen, depending on how much my Grandparents were willing to help us. Well since they are helping us a lot, it's definitely happening! So today I looked at Rome. There is so much to do there. It looks like we'll spend three days actually in Rome, and one day on a day trip to Pompeii. We weren't sure how to get there by ourselves, so we looked at AAA tours that go there from Rome and there are a bunch! They're not too expensive, either. So I think we'll let AAA do the hard work and planning for us on that trip. While we were there, we looked for champagne tours that leave out of Paris. We wanted to go to the Champagne district and tour some vineyards, but it's hard to get transportation there by train. So again we looked at AAA and they have a wonderful tour that goes to 2 different vineyards in Reims (the capital of Champagne). Since we were looking at those tours, I couldn't help but look at all the other tours.

One in particular caught my eye. It's basically "how to propose in Paris for dummies." For details, go here
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp?CODE=5023LOVE&ID=1010&PRODUCTID=1016&AUID=5322&SUBAUID=006&EMAIL=webmaster%40colorado.aaa.com&ETS=DCAF72898B894

You can pick from 4 or 5 different ways to say I love you. There's one where people sneak into your hotel room and decorate it with 150 teddy bears (I would hate that one). Another one takes you up in a plane over Disneyland Paris and another plane flies by with your personal message written on its wings. And during this you're drinking champagne and listening to your favorite love song through your helmet. Very elaborate (and expensive) schemes. I think I prefer a thought-out, personal, genuine proposal over something that he just paid an exorbitant amount of money for someone else to think up and make happen.

Anyways, other tours look really awesome and we're going to have to think about which ones are actually worth the extra expense. There's one that gets you straight to the front of the line to get into Vatican City and gives you a private tour. You can also pay for an audience with the Pope. A similar tour gets you to the front of the line and a 2.5 hour tour of the Louvre. I think we might do that one. Getting to the front of the line might be worth the cost itself. And then after the tour, we can go back and spend more time looking at what we want to. There's also a bike tour that goes into the country and you stop and have a picnic by the Seine and then take a tour of Monet's house and gardens. That sounds heavenly to me. I love gardens and countryside. And Monet is one of my favorite artists. His paintings are just so beautiful! Daniel really liked one tour that takes you to a three-course dinner and then a show at Moulin Rouge. It's like $200 a person, but for a three-course gourmet meal and tickets to Moulin rouge, that doesn't sound so expensive. But I don't know if it's really worth it. So many options! On one hand, I feel like if we're there, we should go for it and experience everything we possibly can. But on the other hand, we're on a budget so we can't just do whatever we want. This is so difficult! Vacations are a lot of work.

No comments: