Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Thorough Analysis

I have calmed down a little bit since earlier this afternoon and now I can sort of explain what happened.  Last week I had four mid-terms.  It was my first test in organic chemistry and physics.  My second test in biology and spanish.  I haven't taken a chemistry test in like 3 years, so it was a lot to handle all at once.  My first spanish test I got an A which was expected.  My first biology test of the quarter I got exactly the average, a C.  So I figured, not great, but I have another chance to bring it up.  I'll just do better next time. 

I left for the weekend for a well-needed vacation after all those tests.  When I came back, I got all my tests back.  I got an 89 on spanish which is like the lowest score I've ever gotten on a spanish test.  I expect better from  myself.  Then I got an email from my chemistry professor telling me I got 80/125 on my midterm.  That's a 64%.  I almost had a heart attack.  So I went to his office to pick up my test and take a look at it.  He sat down with me and went through the entire test.  He explained to me that although it looks like a really low score (you think?), I actually didn't do that badly.  The average was a 61%.  Wow.  So I still beat the average.  He said that he could tell I understood the material based on my homework that I turned in, but maybe the stress of the test got to me a little and I wasn't as careful as I should have been.  There was a question or two that he told me I was one of only a couple people that got it right.  Then he showed me what I did wrong on all the rest.  It was nice to see exactly what I did wrong.  I couldn't believe he was so patient and did all of that for me.  He really is a great professor.  He also told me that though he doesn't exactly curve grades, a 64% will probably not be my final grade on this test.  And he has a policy where if the final exam score is higher than any one of the mid-terms, it counts for that mid-term instead.  So there is not one person who couldn't still get an A in the class.  I left his office feeling much encouraged.

Then this morning, I got my biology test back.  This is the one I felt the most confident about.  I studied a lot for it, and felt like I knew the material.  I got a 79% after the curve.  That is NOT good.  So after two tests, I have a C average in the class.  That is unacceptable.  I cannot get a C.  There are two mid-terms left, and a final exam for me to bring up my grade.  And I need to do really really well on every test that's left.

I haven't gotten my physics test back yet.  But my professor said that he doesn't like to give out any grades below a C.  Whatever that means.  He really wasn't clear at all.  I'm not sure if he's going to curve them, or just add like 10% to every grade to get them all above a C, or what.  But it seemed like I was more confident about my test than most of the others in the class.  

Today in lab I talked to my O Chem TA and he said that a 60% average on an O Chem mid-term is not unusual.  It's actually about right.  So I shouldn't be really upset about a 64%.  I'm sorry, but I will NEVER be okay with a D on a mid-term.  The other O Chem class (taught by a different professor) had an 80% average.  That's crazy.  They had a completely different test, so I can't really compare my score to that average.  It's not fair though. 

I feel a little calmer than I did earlier today, but something has to change.  I haven't quite figured out what exactly.  I have thought about forcing myself to study for 30 minutes for each class every day.  But that's a whole 2 hours and honestly I don't know what I would do for 30 minutes.  Just read my notes until I remember it?  But obviously my current study methods aren't working.  Now I have to think about next quarter and what I'm going to do.

Because of choir, NATS class that I TA for, and my labs, my schedule is very limiting.  I have to take my chemistry and biology classes which is 9-11am.  Then I have labs Monday and Wednesday 2-5 and 2-6pm.  And I have NATS Tuesday and Thursday 2-4pm.  So that leaves everyday 11am-2pm open.  I need to have lunch from 11am-12pm, so now I'm down to 12-2.  My possibilities are Core and Psychology.  Child Development is MW 12-2.  Done.  Now I have one more class that HAS to fit in TR 12-2 slot.  None of the core classes or psychology classes sound interesting.  The one possibility is statistics for psychologists which sounds terribly boring.  So I could just take 14 credits (including choir).  My parents think that's a great idea.  But, I also thought that maybe I should take an art history class before we go to Europe so that I will have background information about all the art we're seeing.  There's one art history class at the women's college on Wednesday nights from 6pm-9:30pm.  Eek.  That's a  loooong time to be looking at paintings and analyzing them.  And with all my other classes, plus NATS and choir and work, maybe 14 credits would be a good idea.  But then I would really like to have more knowledge about art before we go to Europe.  So I don't know.  Maybe I shouldn't take choir and that will free up another 4 hours a week.  But I like choir.  Or rather, I like performing at the end of the quarter and having a class with a bunch of my girl friends.  I don't know what to do!!  I have exactly one week to decide.

I have also thought about signing up for choir and art history and then just dropping one if I decide after the first week or two that it's too much or I don't like the class.  Any input?

3 comments:

beth said...

i really think you need to do something fun as well as all your normal classes. I vote for normal classes, and not too many + choir and a little job that doesnt take up too much time.

Nicole said...

I know you REALLY want to take an art history class, but you need to set priorities. Art history is clearly at the bottom of the stack. If you drop one class, it should be that one. You have to decide what you want more- better grades, or to know about a few paintings when you go to Europe. Is that really a hard choice?

beth said...

Oh! thanks nicole, now i get the art history thing. drop the art crap, that's why there are signs in the art museums.