Sunday, February 22, 2009

House-Hunting and Studying

I have studying so much for biology and chemistry that they are just about all I can think about. I start reading or watching TV and my mind wanders to enantiomers, photosynthesis, ring-flipping, meiosis, chirality, punnett squares....... my mind just won't stop. I am absolutely determined to do well on these tests. And luckily I work so many hours on the weekends that I have plenty of time to study. But it's like I've become obsessed. Even when I'm not at work, I feel a compulsion to read my textbook or do practice problems. If I don't do well on these tests, I'll just have to give up and resign myself to getting Cs. As many hours as I've spent studying, I should do really really well. There are still a few areas I know I need to study more or at least look over right before the test. I made a list of them so that morning while I'm eating my cheerios I can look them over. But hopefully I can get them down before then. Monday is biology and Wednesday is chemistry.

This weekend I have also been house-hunting with Daniel. This is going to be more difficult than we thought. There are 2-3 neighborhoods near campus that are about 300,000, and one neighborhood that has million dollar homes. So we have to look a little further from campus to find ones in our budget. We found a really great house in a beautiful neighborhood only 3 miles from campus for about $170,000. It had a pretty new kitchen and bathrooms, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It didn't have a garage which would make it difficult for 3 cars to park there. And I would really love to have a fireplace. Another house in the neighborhood was selling for $250, so I think it just needed some fixing up or the owners were pretty desperate. Daniel and I drove past it and the whole neighborhood has cute little houses with flowers growing in the front yard and kids riding their bikes. It looked like nobody was living in it. But when we checked yesterday, the listing was gone so it may have sold. It doesn't really matter anyways, because Daniel's parents aren't ready to buy right now. Which makes me even more frustrated. Why are we looking if it's going to be a few months before they are even going to think about putting in an offer? There are very few houses in our budget and even fewer within 5-10 miles of campus. Most houses around here are for rent because that's generally what attracts students. So it seems that this is going to be a difficult and very long-term project.

I think Daniel's parents want him to accept the RA job until they decide what they're going to do. I hate that. I think it's so rude to accept a job and then quit during the summer, or even after one quarter. It leaves HRE to have to hire whoever's left and then those people wouldn't have gone through training like us. Not to mention it doesn't leave our past employers with a nice happy feeling about us. But we don't have much of a choice. Our decision depends upon their decision. It's not fair. I don't want to accept the job and then quit. I want to know what we're doing next year now.

I hate not being in control of things and having to rely on Daniel's parents. They are being so generous and of course I'm grateful, but I also want to make my own decisions about things. I have grown up with very different ways of doing things than Daniel and his family. My family tends to go for more expensive things to get better quality, while Daniel's family values cheaper over quality. I'm afraid that with a budget of $200,000 we will end up with a complete dump in a terrible neighborhood really far from campus. But I can't exactly tell his parents that I don't like this house or that house because if they're paying then I just have to go along with it. It just makes me more excited to graduate college and get a job so I can be independent and self-reliant.

I think I'm just in a terrible mood because I'm hungry and I've been working and studying for the past 4 hours. Just a small disclaimer. So don't listen to anything I've said.

No comments: