Saturday, January 17, 2009

That's life.

Well, the RA workshop wasn't too bad. Mostly because the staff members I got hate all that ice breaker game stuff too. It's kind of annoying because I know all of this stuff already. They spent an hour going over the job description and everyone in the class had a million questions except me. I've worked at the desk, I've gone on "community walks" with Daniel and Hope, I've even had to deal with midnight calls to take care of drunk, belligerent, noisy residents. But I have to go through these boring classes anyways.

We did this activity where they had us write in our class schedule and then made us add everything that an RA has to do (i.e. desk hours, one-on-one meeting, programs, duty, staff meeting, etc.). When I was finished, I still had my entire Saturday open and at least 4 hours open each day. That's more free time than I have now! But I could tell they wanted us to act all surprised and overwhelmed, so I played along. I want to get hired, so I'll do whatever they want. The class is two hours each Friday for 3 weeks. At the last class our applications are due and then we sign up for individual 45 minute interviews with one current RA and one current GRD/RD. I hope I get someone from Nelson or Nagel. I know all the staffs in both of those buildings and they all think of me as an RA already so that can only help me.

Besides RA class, I actually ended up with a bunch of free time yesterday. I guess I got my work schedule messed up and I actually didn't have to work at all. So Daniel, Hope, Kristen, and I played on the billiards table in Nagel and then they watched a movie while I worked from 11pm-1am. I was really tired and ready for bed after that.

A few days ago we got a notice in the mail that our car registration is up and we need to get emissions testing done. Great. We can do that in our hours and hours of free time. So we decided to get it over with on Thursday between my classes that ended at 4 and began at 6. When we got in our car, Daniel noticed that our left rear tire was flat. VERY flat. So he got out the spare, and spent 30 minutes showing me how to change a tire. I thought it was a good learning experience for the future, but also a massive waste of time. When that was finished, we thought we better go straight to Discount and get it fixed before we worry about emissions testing. That took the entire 2 hours between classes and I barely had time to scarf down dinner before I had to leave. So today we went to go get our emissions testing done. We didn't wake up until almost noon, so by the time we got there it was 12:55. They close at 1. Ugh. And they're closed tomorrow, and they're closed the next day. Did I mention it's due by the end of the month? So Daniel's going to go on Tuesday and hopefully the wait isn't too long. Cars are such a pain. We also realized that we are getting pretty close to 60,000 miles which is a big maintenance point so we need to set aside some money for that in the next few months. At least we thought of it now and it won't be a huge surprise expense. I think we manage our money very well in that regard.

Well I'll be working for the next 3 hours. I actually have very little homework this weekend. Probably because I just had a spanish test and most of my homework is due on Friday. So it will be a nice weekend. I'll make lots of money sitting at the desk blogging.

No comments: