Monday, January 5, 2009

First day of classes

My first day went very well.  I think this quarter is going to be fun!  Only 16 credits this quarter so it feels like I have a ton of free time.  But it's early.  Today I had class from 9-12 and that was it.  Normally I'll have lab from 2-5, but there's no lab the first week so I have the rest of the day to relax!

First I had chemistry at 9am.  I think 9 is perfect because I don't have to wake up too early, but it gets me out of bed before I've wasted half my day sleeping in.  The professor is very young (that always surprises me when my professors are so young).  He speaks kind of quietly so when everybody is talking it's hard to hear.  And in a class of 70ish students, it gets loud easily.  But, I sit in the second row (for now) so it's not too bad.  He definitely knows what he's talking about.  I like his powerpoints a lot and he explains things really well.  It seems that I won't really have to take a lot of notes because his lectures are based a lot on the textbook (which I will read ahead of time).  My notes will mostly be example problems.  I don't think this class is going to be that difficult either.  It seems like as long as I keep up and do practice problems, I'll be okay.  I think my high school chemistry teacher really prepared me well.

Then biology.  I am very happy because my biology lecture hall is only like ten steps outside my chemistry hall so when it's really cold I won't be outside for too long.  That class is being taught by three different professors.  One for the first three weeks, another the next three weeks, and yet another for the last four weeks.   The professor that lectured today was also really great.  He isn't too young, but not like gray hair either.  He has a ponytail which gives you an idea of his personality.  He puts jokes in here and there, but not so much that it annoys me.  He also definitely knows the material.  Today it was all review from way back in high school anyways.  Judging from biology last quarter, the class will be easy as long as I attend class and study.  My professor today also made it very clear that he doesn't believe in making us memorize a bunch of fancy words and stuff, he is more concerned with teaching us concepts.  Which is great for me, because I am terrible at memorizing.  I'm not as excited about this quarter of biology because it's all on the cellular and molecular level.  I have a hard time conceptualizing things that I can't even see.  It's hard to believe that all of this stuff is happening inside our bodies without us even knowing.  But I guess chemistry is like that too.

Then spanish.  I really don't want to take spanish, but I have to.  This is my last quarter thank goodness.  My class is about half of the students from my spanish class last quarter which is great because we all get along well and know each other.  The professor is again very young.  She has a three year old and a 18 month old daughter.  She is very nice and likes to have fun in class.  Very different from my very strict European spanish professor last quarter.  I know that class will be easy.  Spanish comes pretty easily to me thanks to Daniel's mom and Abuela.  As long as I don't bomb the final like I did last quarter, I should get an A.  And I'm done before noon!

It's the first day of class and I'm already determining what my grade is going to be.  Ha.  It's really beautiful today (in Denver-winter standards).  Highs in the mid-forties and it's going to warm up to 60 by the weekend!  And that's when we're going skiing in the mountains!  How perfect.  Even more perfect is that the mountains are supposed to get a foot of snow today so there will be a really nice base when we're up there.

Sorry this was a boring post.  I'm sure most people don't really care about my professors or classes, but it's a note to myself that I'll go back and read at the end of the quarter and say "I can't believe I thought that class was going to be easy!"  and laugh at myself.

No comments: