Saturday, January 31, 2009

Room to Breathe

I don't think I have had time to breathe the last few days, let alone blog. The days go by in a blur and I can barely remember what I did yesterday! Oh, now I remember. I had my last RA class. Yay! I turned my application and now it's just a waiting game. I had so many big things due last week that I have very little homework this weekend. I have the usual set of chemistry problems due on Monday, but that will take an hour or two. I have a Spanish test on Monday to study for, that's no problem either. I've already started studying for my biology test on Friday right before I go to the airport! Just knowing that I'm going home next weekend has put me in a good mood for the past few days. Where normally I would wake up tired and grumpy and think about the million things I had to do that day and how many hours it was until I could go back to sleep, instead I would wake up thinking "this is going to be a great day!" And in general, it has been. I don't want you to think I'm in a bad mood all day long. This quarter I've actually avoided being in my room and having nothing to do. I would rather work and make money or be out with friends or something. Being by myself is boring. I never thought I would say that. But it's true anyways. So I keep myself pretty busy. I find that if I don't have anything to do then I end up falling asleep and I hate that.

I got my biology test back from a few weeks ago, and it was just about as bad as I thought. 75% which was exactly the class average. At first I wasn't sure whether to be upset about it or not, and now I'm just kind of indifferent. Whatever, it's not terrible and I still have 2 more tests plus a final and a couple quizzes to bring it up. I'm not worried. And this time, I'm not waiting until the night before to study. I've already started studying.

Today Daniel and Hope and I went shopping for the Super Bowl Party. Daniel and Hope are co-programming as RAs, and somehow I got sucked into it since it's my boyfriend and my best friend doing it together. We got $50 from leadership team, and then Daniel and Hope had a little bit of programming money that they could put in. Let me tell you, $50 does not go far. I thought we would have plenty of money, but once we got to Costco we realized that it was not enough. We wanted to get frozen food like wings and mozzarella sticks, plus chips and dip and drinks, and prizes for the raffle. With fifty dollars, we got the wings, mozzarella sticks, and two bags of chips. No drinks, no decorations, no dip, no prizes, no napkins/cups/plates. Yikes. So Daniel and Hope put in some of their floor's programming money and we bought some more stuff at Safeway with that. This has definitely been a lesson in budgeting and the astronomical price of food at the moment. I am so glad I'm in school right now and not out in the "real world."

Speaking of that, my brother is out in the real world, and it sucks. He worked for a long time at Circuit City and he did really well. He was a good salesman, people liked him, and he made enough money. He has also been in school for almost 5 years now, and he's still about a year away from graduation. He had talked about enlisting in the marines after he graduated and using his knowledge of Arabic to help him move up the ranks. Well, I guess those plans have moved up. He dropped out of all his classes this semester (in time to get a tuition refund) and he has no job because Circuit City is bankrupt. He had to move back in with my parents for the first time since he graduated high school because he couldn't afford rent anymore. That sucks. I would hate to move back home for any extended length of time. My grandparents told me he is going to enlist soon. Like in the next few weeks. So now I'm really glad I'm going home because he may be gone by the time I'm home in the spring!

Happy Super Bowl!

No comments: