Monday, June 2, 2008

Who needs a job anyways?

So the more I think about it, the more I am resigned to not having a job. For the following reasons:
1) most of my friends (Sarah, Nicole, Daniel, Evan) do not have a job (or a very time-consuming job) this summer so I will have people to do things with
2) I don't really need the money because I get an allowance from my parents
3) I will get to do everything that I want to do like volunteer at VBS, go on family vacation, and visit my grandparents
4) I am very frustrated and nobody wants to give me a job that I am willing to do (not waitressing or cashiering)
5) I will still make money by babysitting nights and weekends
6) I will be able to help my parents around the house and cook dinner and run errands, etc.
7) Starting in September, I will have two jobs, so it all evens out

So, although I am still going to apply if I hear of a job that sounds good, I will no longer actively pursue a regular summer job. I am frustrated and discouraged. Maybe this sounds arrogant, but regardless, I think I am too smart to be working at a fast food place or even really working retail. My time is worth more than $7.00 an hour. I am smart enough to be able to handle a real job. Too bad most real jobs require experience. Of which I have none. So I guess I will have to wait until I have something impressive, like a degree, to put on my resume before I will get a decent job. And now I have an excuse to just hang out and do whatever I want for a few weeks. After all the work I've put in the last 9 months or so, I think I deserve it.

I have to keep telling myself this stuff so I don't feel incredibly guilty. I have a few friends who actually have bills to pay and stuff and have no choice but to get a job, or even two, in order to pay their bills. But, then again, I chose a different path: college. And my parents and grandparents are very willing to support me while I get an education. Why do I always do this? I feel bad, then I rationalize and I feel better. Then I feel bad about something else, then I rationalize again and feel better. Until I feel bad about something else. I think part of it is that I'm a little afraid that others will look at me as a spoiled lazy brat sitting at home all summer. Well they will just have to get over it. Cause I'm not just going to sit at home. I will be volunteering at VBS and babysitting and helping my parents. There I go rationalizing again. I think I'll stop now before I spiral into a hole of guilt.

Daniel took me out for Ben & Jerrys today. I have the best boyfriend in the world. It's official.

No comments: