Monday, April 27, 2009

My long weekend in Phoenix

This weekend was so great.  It was exactly what I needed right in the middle of the quarter and right after midterms.  I can't believe I got all my homework done before I even left so I didn't have to think about school at all.

My flight was cancelled at the last minute, but then I found out that they just moved everyone onto the flight 30 minutes earlier.  It was kind of nice because I got into Phoenix 30 minutes earlier.  When I got home, I had some stuff to show my parents and my mom had been saving stuff for me too.  She bought me some makeup and a cute skirt.  I love getting new makeup.  

The next morning I woke up and Grandpa came over.  I miss my grandparents so much when I'm away so I want to spend every second with them that I can.  I talked to him about next year and how we're going to work out paying rent and all.  I was surprised that everyone (except my dad) was so supportive of moving into a house with Daniel.  Grandpa agreed to put money into my bank account at the beginning of each quarter and then it's up to me to budget that out for rent and food for the next three months.  It was a relief to get that out of the way.  We also talked about Europe.  He gave his usual warning that he doesn't want to spoil me, and I gave him my usual answer: I'm trying as hard as I can to get good grades and prove to you that I am a good investment and I am using your money well.  He is always satisfied with that answer.  I can't help feeling guilty.  I realize that not everybody has grandparents that can afford to pay tuition and room and board and all.  But I also know that if I didn't accept his help, then I certainly couldn't afford it myself.  So I just have to take it and work as hard as I can so that someday I will get a good job.  That will be repayment enough for my grandpa.  Later I got a manicure and then at 4 grandma and grandpa came over.  Soon after Daniel's mom and my aunt and uncle came over too.  My mom made a beautiful dinner.  Everyone wanted to see my ring and they all agreed that it was beautiful and perfect for my small hands.  I agree :-)  Shirley gave me a beautiful gift.  It was a shadow box which she had framed our engagement announcement.  She kind of scrapbooked it with red paper behind and a note that said "We are so happy for you both!  From George and Shirley"  I'm so excited to hang it in our house!  I had to leave a little after 7 to go to church for bells rehearsal.  Then I got to show off my ring some more to everyone there.  They hadn't heard the story of how he proposed so I shared that as well.  It was a lot of work to sight read 5 pieces in one night.  It took a lot of concentration and energy, but it was fun too.  

On Friday my mom and I made lunch together.  It was so nice to be able to cook for myself and it turned out so delicious!  We made salmon with a soy sauce glaze over rice and broccoli.  We went shopping and I bought a really cute sundress with yellow flowers on it.  My dad took me out for dinner to P.F. Chang's.  Yummy!  Then the three of us went to the Desert Botanical Gardens.  The weather was so beautiful after the sun went down.  I have really learned to appreciate the beauty of the desert now that I don't live there anymore.  After that my mom and I went to Daniel's parents' house to visit with them.  Robert wasn't able to come to dinner, so this was his chance to see my ring.  I just love going over there and spending time with them.  They make me feel so smart and accomplished.  Robert talked a little more about the house, but nothing new.  It seems that between my parents and Daniel's parents, they have quite a bit of furniture to give us.  And my grandma told me that she wants me to take their piano.  It's actually the piano they gave my mom for her 8th grade graduation.  It's obviously very special and I'm so excited that I get to keep it.  My mom also told me today that a cousin that lives here in Denver was just put into assisted living so she is clearing out her old stuff.  She has a set of dishes that belonged to my great grandma's mother and they want to keep them in the family.  So, it seems that they will give them to me!  How exciting - real antique dishes! 

On Saturday I got to church early in the morning and we drove to Saguaro HS.  There were 14 groups there including a middle school and 3 churches from Sun City and PVUMC.  It was funny to see how much younger we were than most of the groups (except the middle school of course).  We were also right in the front and center and we discovered later that was because we were the only group playing a song by ourselves in the concert.  It was a little embarrassing, but every group had the opportunity and they declined.  My feet started to hurt about 2 hours in.  You can't really play bells sitting down, so it was a long day on my feet.  The rehearsals actually went pretty quick though.  The most surprising thing was how difficult it was to get everyone together.  I didn't realize that getting 14 bell choirs to play together is virtually impossible.  We had sort of the marching band effect where the groups in the back were behind the groups in the front.  And you know some of those old ladies were a little slow anyways.  Overall, it was a very cool experience.  We learned some new things (like when you mart the bell, you don't need to kill it - it's already dead- so do it a little softer and in context with the rest of the piece).  Grandma and Grandpa and mom and dad came to the concert which was pretty short.  We went straight to church to put the bells away and then I went over to fellowship hall with the whole family for the UMW dinner.  That was really fun.  Everybody wanted to see my ring there.  I couldn't walk through without somebody stopping me and congratulating me.  It was especially nice to show Carla Whitmire.  She's kind of a second mom, and I could tell she was really happy for me.  Mary Tassi too.  She seemed a little nostalgic about it.  I mean, she was my preschool teacher for goodness sake.  I was really tired that night and went to bed pretty early.  It was a loooong day.

Sunday morning I put on my new sundress and went to church.  I sat with my grandparents and it was nice to see them one last time.  It was a beautiful service.  I really miss CITD when I'm in Denver.  It feels like I'm really home when I'm at church on Sunday.  We left for the airport right after church and now here I am.  It was a relaxing, family-filled weekend.  It is great to see how happy everyone is for us.  I couldn't ask for better in-laws than Daniel's parents.  And his brothers too :-)

A small damper on the weekend was my dad as usual.  It's obvious he doesn't want me to move into a house with Daniel, but he doesn't have a good reason.  He comes up with reasons just to argue about it, but I know the real reason is because he doesn't want me to grow up.  It's really frustrating.  But I refuse to argue with him about it.  I just don't talk to him about it.  My grandparents and my mom are very supportive, and that's all that matters.  He'll have to get used to it eventually because it's happening.  

When I got back to school, Daniel showed me an ad that had been emailed to him by one of his fraternity brothers.  They just graduated last year and are moving away from Denver so they are selling all of their furniture.  We emailed them saying we would offer $1000 for a queen bed and mattress, two bedside tables, two dressers, and two desks.  Most of the furniture is from IKEA and it all matches.  It's all a dark wood finish.  He emailed us back saying that some of the other guys have also expressed interest, but he wants to give us first pick.  So he'll give us all of that for $675.  I have no idea why, but he lowered his price.  Then today he offered us all of that, plus two desk chairs, for $450!  It's kind of counterintuitive.  But Daniel went over there today to look at it and he said that it's all really nice stuff.  We wrote him a check and the deal is done.  Even better, he's not moving until June so he'll hold on to it for us until then.  We're picking up the bed later because our futon just isn't comfortable anymore.  I am so thrilled!  Our entire bedroom is furnished for under $500.  How lucky.

And choir tomorrow was cancelled.  So I'll have time to get all my lab reports done.  I am very happy right now.  I can't wait to move into our first home!

No comments: