Thursday, March 26, 2009

SNOW DAY!!!

Today the whole campus is closed down, along with most of the city of Denver. I-25 is closed, every school, most government buildings, museums, etc. It's kinda crazy. We received a phone call, text message, and email at 6am this morning saying that the campus is closed due to snow. So of course I looked outside and - nothing. Not one flake. Naturally, I thought it was a mistake. But when I woke up again around 9am, there was already about 3-4 inches. Then I went to work at 11am. I had to go outside to get to work, and it was snowing pretty hard, but not what I would call a blizzard. Well around 1:00 I checked again and it is like white-out! I can't see more than a few feet outside and then it's just white. The snow is blowing sideways! There is over a foot now, and it's supposed to snow for 36 hours straight. All the way until tomorrow morning. I was really afraid all our dining halls would close, but luckily they're open. There's no way we could even drive a quarter mile to Safeway in this weather. The person that was supposed to work after me couldn't make it to campus, so I ended up working her shift. Then the girl after her called, but I said she's going to have to call someone else because I want to enjoy a few hours of my snow day. It wasn't really a big deal because I don't have that much class on Thursdays anyway. Just an hour in the morning, then TA and choir for 4 hours in the evening. Unfortunately, work is not cancelled even if classes are. Actually, work has been really busy because everyone wants to check out DVDs, games, pool equipment, Nintendo Wii, etc. And everyone is calling to ask if the dining halls are still open. So I've been really busy, but I was still able to get my chem lab done :-)

On Saturday Daniel and I have an appointment with a realtor to go look at 3 houses. I'm really excited about them. They are all beautiful and in really nice neighborhoods. They are just above our budget at 195K, but Daniel thinks that we can negotiate down and that his parents will be willing to go a little above their initial budget. We drove past them just to see the neighborhood and stuff, and I could definitely see us living there, and even raising our kids. There's a park nearby all of them and they had lots of kids running around outside. Every house we looked at is empty. Two of them are bank-owned. This economy is insane, but I guess it is working to our advantage. Except that there are a lot of offers on these houses because they're so cheap. Hopefully the bank is so desperate to sell them that we can get a really great price on them. The thing I don't like is that I'm afraid we'll love a house, but Daniel's parents aren't ready to make an offer until late May early June. So I kind of don't want to look because I'm so ready to get out of the residence hall and live on my own that I'm going to want to buy the first house I see! It'll be fun anyways. House-hunting is always fun. I can imagine what it will be like living there with Hope and Jeff. And my fiancee :-)

No comments: