Friday, March 13, 2009

Finals and dogs

I have really lost all motivation to study. I studied for about 4 hours today. Not nearly as much as I did for Biology. But at this point, I'm more focused on packing and flying home tomorrow. This happened to me last year too. I did awful on my physics final because it was the last day and I was flying home that afternoon. At least I have a little room to do not as well in chemistry because I did so well on my last test. Pretty much everyone else except us poor science and music majors are done with finals. The residence halls are really quiet because most everyone has left. Hope was very cheerful today because she finished all her finals. She was doing a happy dance while I was sitting there with my chemistry book open trying to study. Ugh. It's not fair. But I have to remember that a few days ago I was happy it was on Saturday, because that gave me extra time to study. But now Hope and Nikki and everyone else is going out for dinner, watching movies, and celebrating. Tomorrow the second I'm done with my test, I'm calling Hope and we are going to have lunch together and then go to the mall. We both have coupons for victoria's secret so we're going there first.

I also finished my physics take-home final today. It was ridiculous. I feel like 80% sure about the first problem, and 95% sure about the second. And the last one, I'll be lucky if I get any points on. I had no clue what the problem was even asking and I couldn't find anything about it in any one of our three textbooks. I finally found a homework problem (which I didn't do) that was very similar. My professor had posted the solutions to the homework online, so I just copied it exactly. Even though the numbers were different and the problem itself was slightly different. I figure, if it looks sort of right he might give me partial credit. Then this afternoon I talked to one of my friends that's in that class with me and we compared answers. We got the same answers in the second one. I explained to her how to do the first one. She stayed after class last week to ask him about that homework problem, so she knew how to do it. When she started explaining, it was so involved and complicated, I gave up. She said it took him about an hour to explain how to do it. How can he expect us to spend an hour on one problem? It's ridiculous! Even if I knew how to do it, I don't think I would. Not worth it. I'm just glad that class is over.

My newest obsession is figuring out which dog breed to get. As soon as we get a house, I want to get a brand new puppy. For a long time, Daniel and I both really wanted an english bulldog. And I still think that would be wonderful, but I also think we can get a fluffier and more active breed. So now our short list includes border collie, goldendoodle, australian shepherd, and my personal favorite, samoyed. If we had a bigger backyard, I would totally want a bernese mountain dog, but that's not realistic at this point. After I saw pictures and watched youtube videos of samoyeds, I really really REALLY want one. They are so adorable and they were actually bred to be companions, so they are super affectionate and love people. The only downside is that they are very fluffy with white hair so they shed a lot. But honestly, I don't think it will bother me that much. The puppies look like tiny white teddy bears, they are so cute!! I want one so bad. Another downside is that it's hard to find pure-bred samoyed puppies at a shelter. We would probably have to go to a breeder. But at this point, I want one so bad that I am totally willing to do that. I think they are absolutely adorable.


Now Daniel and I have to figure out the whole timeline for the house/puppy. I am a little concerned, because if we don't get a house, then I need to apply for housing on campus-- soon. So basically I need to know for sure whether or not we're getting a house. Daniel talked to his mom yesterday and she said that they are definitely getting us a house. So that's settled. And they're going to try to go for sooner rather than later. If we find a house we love, and the stock market is doing well and all goes right, we should be able to close right when school ends in early June. Then we'll have all summer to get the house ready and actually live there (instead of with my parents- ugh). So then we have to figure out when to get a puppy. I want to get one right away of course. But Daniel thinks we should wait until we get back from Europe. But my thinking is that when we get back from Europe we'll only have 3 weeks before classes start to bond with the puppy and train it. If we get it before, we'll have about 6 weeks before we leave to go to puppy school and bond with it. Then either Hope, or my parents, or Daniel's parents can take care of it for a few weeks while we're gone. It might just come down to when we can find a puppy though. I mean there isn't always a litter of samoyeds waiting to be adopted. So we'll see. But how exciting that in about 3 months, we'll have our first home! And Hope is going to live there over the summer too! I love it :-)

I should be studying. But I don't want to. I know enough chemistry, right?

1 comment:

Chris Wickersham said...

I would highly recommend against a border collie - they need so much exercise and will go nuts if they don't have a job to do. You know, there are lots and lots of lovable puppies waiting to get adopted at the shelters, purebreeds are overrated! There are lots of rescue organizations too, purebred dogs that they take from people that get them when they're puppies and find out they can't deal with them.