Friday, October 3, 2008

One mid-term done

This week was a little crazy. It went so fast, I can't believe it's Friday already! The highlight was definitely Wednesday. I woke up really early as usual to work at the desk. Class went quickly and I didn't fall asleep or anything which is unusual for Wednesdays. I had a paper due on Thursday that I was putting off, but obviously I couldn't procrastinate any more. So I sat down at noon and finished it in less than an hour. It felt so good to finally get it done and not have to worry about it anymore. Then when Daniel was done with class at 1, we did the mail really quickly so that we could get on the road and go up to the mountains!

Since we grew up in Arizona, we never got to see leaves change colors for the fall. We asked a few friends who grew up here where we should go and they gave us some really good ideas. So we hopped on I-70 west and just drove. We didn't have a particular destination in mind, or a time frame, or really any plans at all. We just drove. It was the most spontaneous thing that we have ever done, and I didn't have a panic attack! We saw signs for Red Rocks, so we decided to stop and take a look. It's this giant outdoor ampitheater built into the rocks. Daniel has been there to see a couple concerts, but I never have. It was beautiful. You could see for miles in every direction. The weather was perfect, too. There was a light breeze blowing, but it was sunny. Then we got back on the road and went up to the Continental Divide. On the way there is when we really started to see the leaves change. In the east and other places, the trees change to red and orange and yellow. In Colorado there are two types of trees: ones that stay green, and aspens that turn a bright gold. We could see patches of this blinding gold in among the green forests. The sun shined off them and it looked almost like fire. We stopped on the side of the road and took some gorgeous pictures.

We decided to drive up to Keystone and Silverthorne and have dinner. Keystone is a ski resort, but it's not open yet. Silverthorne is a little town just outside Keystone where there are lots of fancy hotels and restaurants and shopping and touristy type stuff. We have been there before in January when Daniel's fraternity brother/my boss/ our friend Jeff drove us up there to go snowboarding. We thought maybe some of the restaurants at the ski resort would be open, but it was just deserted. So we drove to Silverthorne to find a place to eat. Jeff knows Silverthorne really well because his parents live there. So he told us about this place called the Mint. There's no menu, just a meat counter. You pick out the meat you want and they hand it to you raw. Then you go over to this giant grill and cook it yourself. It was so fun! I'm glad that Daniel knows how to grill really well. It was delicious. At the table next to us was a couple from Georgia. They were nervous about cooking the meat themselves. They asked us if we did it ourselves and we told them yes. They seemed to think that if we could do it, then they could too. We started talking to them and had a really interesting conversation. They were obviously evangelical Christians. She went on for 20 minutes about how great it is to homeschool your kids because you can control what influences they have and who their friends are and stuff like that. And they asked about us and our plans for our future and all that.

So we left to drive back home at about 6:30. On the way back, we drove past this little town called Georgetown. Daniel has been there because one of his fraternity brothers owns a cabin there. It's the cutest little mountain town! All the houses are different pastel colors. The streets are built into the side of the mountain. And as we were driving through, a herd of deer walked right up to us! They weren't afraid of us at all. Crazy!

It was such an awesome day. We spent the whole day together and I didn't have any homework to worry about, and Daniel didn't have any phone calls, or work to do, or anything. We both had such a great time. We were exhausted that night, but we had to do our laundry. So at 10:30pm when it was finished we both passed out and fell fast asleep.

Today I had my biology mid-term. I waited until last night at 11:00pm to really sit down and study. The day was so busy with class until 6, and then dinner, and the VP debate, and then we played taboo with some friends at the desk until 11. I sort of read through my notes, and made flashcards and stuff ahead of time, but nothing serious. I never ever procrastinate like that, but I think it went okay. I guess I'll find out on Monday when I get my test back. I have a spanish mid-term on Monday, Core (classical music) on Tuesday, and Psychology on Wednesday. So it seems that my weekend will be full of studying. Psychology is really the only one I need to study for. Spanish isn't difficult, and of course classical music will be easy. I just need to study the names and artists of some paintings. I really hope these mid-terms go well. They're my first big tests of the year, and I want to start it off right!

No comments: