Sunday, October 5, 2008

Me?! Playing Softball?!!

Yup, that's right. Yesterday was Tri-delt's annual "Strike out Cancer". All the Greek organizations (and a few others) pay $200 to enter themselves in this softball tournament. We go to Cornerstone Park and play 20 minutes games. Daniel and I were a little late because I had to work. We got to the park around noon, and our team had already won a game! Each team has to have at least 4 girls, and at least 10 total, so like most of the other fraternities, we borrowed a few tri-delt girls to play on our team. The game that we won, however, was actually a tie. So we rock, paper, scissored for it and won. Then we had a catered lunch while watching another team play. There were actually three fields going on at once. And there were something like 12 teams I think. Then I got to play! I stood out in the outfield and when the ball came near me, I chased after it and threw it to the pitcher. I didn't have a glove, so it was a little scary. We lost that first game. Since it was double elimination, we were still in the tournament. So then we played GB. That's a sorority, so it was pretty easy to beat them. And I got to bat in this game! After two swings that missed, I hit one pretty hard and got a double! I was so excited. When I got to the base I jumped up and down. My whole team was also very surprised and happy. But then the next batter hit one pretty hard into the outfield, so I ran really hard for third base. Half-way there, I realized my whole team was telling me to turn around and run back to second because it was caught in the air. I had so much momentum going in the forward direction that when I reversed, I slid in the dirt and fell. My jeans and hands got very dirty. So then I felt like a real softball player! The next game, we lost badly. I did get a hit again, but I didn't make it home. It was really fun to get outside on such a beautiful day and make money for a cause. All the money went to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

On the way home we stopped at Costco. It's the first time we've had a chance to go there since we got here to Colorado. We got a giant thing of toilet paper, a 5 lb bucket of cookie dough, and some steak. So that night, Daniel cooked us a nice meal with steak! He did such a good job. It makes me really happy that he knows how to cook. I can't wait until we have our own place and we can cook dinner more often. After dinner, Daniel was on duty so we had to stay in the dorm all night. My friend Hope was working the desk, so I went to hang out with her while Daniel went on rounds. And when I got down there two of our other DAs were there, so we all hung out. We ended up playing Scattergories for like 2 hours. I did pretty well, but Hope beat all of us by a lot. Then it was time for bed. It was such a great day. I got to spend pretty much all day with Daniel. I'm a little sore today, but it was worth it.

No comments: