Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My blood is in the freezer.

Yesterday at work I finally learned how to process blood. I learned the procedure that takes the blood from directly out of the veins of the subject into 6 different tubes: 2 of plasma, 2 of plasma pellets, and 2 of white blood cell pellets. So this morning at my mom's lab, we both had our blood drawn and then I took it to work and processed it. I was nervous because it was the first time I did it all by myself. It's not a hard procedure, there's just like 2 kind of tricky parts. I was mostly afraid I would mess it up and then I wouldn't get to test myself. But now both me and my mom have our samples in the freezer and next week when I get some free time I will do the ApoE test. It takes 3-4 days total to do the test, so it'll be at least a week before I know my genotype. But I am super excited. The results will tell me (and my mom) whether or not I have a '4' allele. If I do have the '4', it means I have at least a 20 times more likely chance of getting Alzheimer's. About half of people with Alzheimer's have the '4'.

Work has been really awesome lately. I've been learning lots of new techniques. Every time I learn something new, I am so excited! I keep thinking about my chemistry labs and stuff when I will already know how to do stuff. And what kind of jobs I can get with the skills I have learned. The other people that work in my lab are all so nice. They are always willing to help me and tell me little tips and tricks to make things easier. Everyone is nice and respectful and they don't mind answering my million questions I ask each day. They must be so tired of hearing "Where does this go?" But they are very patient with me. I will genuinely miss the lab.

Yesterday I seriously felt like the luckiest girl in the world. My mom dropped me off at Daniel's house on the way home from work. When I walked in, dinner was almost ready. Daniel handed me a glass of wine and the table was set beautifully. In about ten minutes we sat at the table and he served up a beautiful meal. We had salad and fettuccine alfredo with little vegetables put in and chicken marinated in italian sauce cut up in the pasta. Then for dessert a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate ice cream. Yummy!! Isn't Daniel the best? The dinner was so delicious and I was tired after work and it was just perfect. I love him.

No comments: