Thursday, July 31, 2008

Melting glass is fun

Today at work I got to melt glass. Sort of. We have these small thin glass rods and we use them to work with tiny tissue samples. So today I got to put them over a flame to seal the ends shut and bend them to make a hook. It was fun. What is it about fire that is so fun? I also finished my ELISA test and it didn't come out right again. Errr it's so frustrating! All that work..3 days... for nothing. I never really mastered the ELISA but at least I got some practice doing it. The worst part is I don't really know what exactly went wrong. I think I'm just not naturally a very patient person and research in general takes a lot of patience. Tomorrow I am going to start on me and my mom's samples. I am doing an ApoE. I think it's like a 2-3 day process so I will have to finish it the beginning of next week. I'm glad to be doing something new again; I love learning new skills. Today was most of the interns' last day so I got a check. I will get another one when I complete the program. I'm glad I'm staying for another two weeks. There's more work to be done, and I would feel like I was leaving a lot of loose ends if I left after today.

Russell (the other intern) did immunohistochemistry today. That was the process that I did a million billion times for the past 3 weeks. I have it memorized and I could do it in my sleep so I was helping him. It's amazing what different techniques we have. I do things efficiently, quickly, yet correctly. He does things slowly and methodically. It drives me crazy. I have to hold myself back from just taking over and doing it myself because he's so slow. He took all day to do what usually took me about half a day. But oh well, it still turned out right and he learned the technique which is what's important.

After work I went to Daniel's house and he cooked dinner for me and his parents. It was nice to see them again. Daniel is such a good cook! He doesn't even follow recipes he just makes it up on his own. And I get to take leftovers to work tomorrow for lunch. His parents showed me pictures of their Mexico vacation and his mom bought me this really cool sarong bathing suit cover up thing. It's really pretty. It looked like they have a good time. His parents have such adventurous vacations! I am excited because I am going on a cruise with them to Mexico in December. His mom found this deal where it costs the same to have four people in a room as to have two people in a room, so Evan and Rennie will have a room, and his parents will share a room, and they want me to come to make it an even 6. I love cruises and I love his family, so it should be fun!

I can't believe that Mariah and Mercedes are leaving tomorrow. Just like that. They are being taken away once again from the only parents they know. I am so sorry for Chris and Aimee. I feel so terrible, I can't imagine how they must be feeling. Sorry guys. That just sucks. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

No comments: