Thursday, April 24, 2008

Memories


One of my old friends just posted a bunch of pictures on facebook from freshman year. It's weird because I haven't actually hung out with those people since about the middle of my sophomore year. So since I was 16. That would be almost four years ago. And I look back and have totally mixed feelings. On one hand, those were some of my happiest times. Those people made me laugh and feel giddy and popular and life was fun. But on the other hand, that was a very difficult time in my life. I can't understand why I feel like I was very happy and very depressed at the same time. Which was it? Maybe both.


I still talk to some of them, or at least I did when we went to high school senior year, but some of them I really haven't talked to since sophomore year. It's too bad. We had great times. But I also feel like part of growing up is shedding your old relationships to make room for new ones. I mean, if I was still friends with all of those people then I wouldn't have made all of my new friends. And that's just what happens in life. You drift away from people. I can't wait for our 10 year high school reunion. It's going to be great.


I think I will choose to remember the good times. The times that we would just all hang out at one of the Rosen's famous pool parties and talk about stuff that 14-15 year olds talk about. We would listen to music, tell crazy jokes, date each other and break up, talk about who we thought would break up next, see movies, go shopping, go out for lunch at Desert Ridge, and just hang out. I will remember the tiny moments when I felt like I had a place that belonged to me in this little group. The times that I felt secure and liked and carefree and fun. And the times that I was nervous because I knew that Daniel was going to kiss me, and what if he thinks I'm a bad kisser? There is nothing like being 14. It's a scary, fun, confusing, crazy, unsure, carefree time. But I sure am glad that I'm not 14 anymore. Being 19 is much better. I think everyone would agree.


No comments: