Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Life goes on

I'm almost finished with week two now. This quarter has been a breeze so far. I have so much free time during the day that I'm staying on top of the reading for all my classes, and keeping up with studying for anatomy. I'm sure that as the quarter goes on it will get harder. For now, I'm enjoying my free time.

The weather is really warming up now. Yesterday we hit a record high of 82. The last record for that date was 81 set in the 1880s! It was so nice to feel the sun. With the warm weather comes Jackson's shedding. His hair is getting everywhere. We have little tumbleweeds of black hair, and every time I pet him, I end up with hair all over me. Daniel and I have been sweeping and vacuuming twice as much as we normally do, and brushing him every few days. He really hates the slicker brush, but it gets the most hair out. So Daniel holds him down while I brush him as much as I can before he squirms free and runs out the doggie door. I don't know why he hates it. It can't possibly hurt him that much.

Yesterday I got done with class at noon, and I didn't have to go to work, so I had all afternoon with absolutely nothing to do. Normally I use that time to read and catch up on homework, but I decided to take a nap instead. It felt really nice at the time, but when I woke up I felt really guilty about it. It feels like wasted time. But I can afford to lose a few hours.

Tomorrow I'm leaving to go to Phoenix. I am much more excited and less stressed. I have no homework this weekend, and I already did laundry and swept the floor. I will be missing one hour of chemistry and all day of work, but that's not a big deal. It's nice that work is a luxury right now and I can afford to miss it. Grandma and Grandpa take care of me. I think it is so important to take advantage of every opportunity I have to visit with my grandparents. It scares me to death to think about it, but I don't have that much more time with them. They are approaching 80 years old. I know that once they do pass away, I am going to wish I had spent more time with them. My biggest fear is that something happens and I hadn't seen them for 6 months or a year. So over Easter I am going to enjoy every second with them.

Yesterday I was packing my bag for Easter, and I packed this really cute summer dress I bought last year. I wasn't sure what shoes to wear with it, so I tried it on with a couple different pairs. And I couldn't zip up the dress. After Daniel worked on it for a few minutes and finally cinched me in, we decided it was too small. :-( This is the first time in my life I have gained weight (without gaining height). It sucks. I really liked that dress and now I can't wear it. I feel fat. I've gained about 10 pounds since last summer. Daniel insists I don't look fat, but I think that's just him trying to stay on my good side. It's a good thing too; we don't want to know what would happen if Daniel told me I actually looked fat. My nutrition class is making me hyperaware of what I'm eating, and I really am trying to cut back on calories. Today, my professor brought in some snacks just to see what we all would pick. She asked us why we picked what we did- was it packaging, brand name, familiarity, nutritional content? I picked chocolate teddy grahams- mostly because it had the word chocolate on it. Not the best choice, nutritionally, but I can't help it- taste wins over nutrition every time. And it's really not fair for my professor to bring in non-healthy snacks like that. She's just tempting me. I would never ever buy chocolate teddy grahams at the grocery store. I purposely don't buy packaged foods for that very reason. Instead, I bake my own junk food like cookies and brownies lol. I'm trying anyways. I am bracing myself for all the calories I will be consuming while I'm in Phoenix. I already know we have two steak dinners planned- one with the Rosens and one with the Guthries.


No comments: