Friday, March 5, 2010

Wedding Location

Yesterday Daniel and I discussed the wedding location for the billionth time. And this time, we decided to have it in Phoenix. While my Mom was here, we talked about it and she was very clear that if we had the wedding in Denver, not very many people would come. Probably just family and really close family friends. And of course our friends that live in Denver. The more I thought about that, the more I felt that we should have it in Phoenix. I know I will be really disappointed if there are only 50 people at our wedding. I have grown up with so many people surrounding me at church, and I really want them to be there when we get married. It's so hard for Daniel to understand because he doesn't have that church family like I do. The most important people to him are our current friends in college. But I am sure that in 10 years, we won't be in touch with over half of our current friends. The people that have been there to mentor me for 20 years are so important. I can't explain it. When I was younger, I always pictured them at my wedding. And anyone with young children will have a very difficult time traveling to Denver. It will be nearly impossible for them to come. And how many people would really spend the money for a flight and hotel just to come to a wedding? Not very many I'm sure. When Daniel and I talked about it, he was really stubborn at first. He said that he wants our wedding to be a party, with people our own age- not a bunch of people our parents' age. I can understand that, but I think that our bridesmaids and groomsmen will be enough young people to make it fun. Finally, Daniel agreed. He said that he could tell it was really important to me, and that was reason enough. He is so selfless and generous. That very night he began researching places to hold the wedding in Phoenix.

This is such a hard decision. Even I go back and forth! I wanted a snowy wedding, and like Daniel, I feel that we should establish Denver as our home. It feels strange to me to be spending the week before the wedding living at my parents' house, or in a hotel. I would much rather plan the whole thing from my home. But the truth is we both spent 18 years of our lives in Scottsdale. And there is nobody who would travel to Denver but wouldn't travel to Phoenix. Most of Daniel's family will be flying from Florida, so it makes no difference to them. And almost all of my family lives in Phoenix. We will be able to include so many more people. I hope we can stick with this and move forward with the planning and feel confident in our decision. No matter what, we won't be completely happy. But we will make the best of it.

I guess we should change the theme. Snowflakes wouldn't go so well in Phoenix. Maybe music notes? That's very appropriate for us. I still like blue though.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!