Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Feels like Spring is here!

It has been over 50 degrees for almost a week now. It seems like as soon as it hit March, God decided it was time we got some sunshine :-) We are definitely enjoying it! We've been taking Jackson out for walks, and the permafrost in our backyard has actually started to melt. It's kind of like there's a 3 foot by 20 foot ice rink in our backyard. After we got a few good snowstorms, it never melted. Jackson likes to roll around in it and slide around on it. But now it's rapidly disappearing! Our grass is getting greener too! Sometimes I look outside and I get this intense feeling like it's summer. It's the same feeling I had all summer long when I was in our house and looked outside. It's the feeling of freedom. Summer= freedom. Especially last summer when it meant moving into our very first house, going on a month long trip to Europe, and all those other independent things. So when I see the green grass and sun shining, it makes me so excited for summer! It's not even the warm weather I'm excited about, though that is definitely nice. It's about a time when school is out and it'll just be us living in our house, with our puppy, going to work every day. I already know I have a full time job for the summer, and hopefully Daniel will too. It will be a little taste of post-college life. And it's about remembering times that we had friends over and grilled burgers and laid outside in our cushy soft grass with baby Jackson running around. And working out in the yard, mowing the lawn and pulling weeds and that kind of stuff. This summer will be filled with planting! Daniel especially is excited about planting fruit trees and a garden. In Denver, apply trees are very popular. I think cherry trees grow well here too. But I really want an aspen tree! They are the quintessential Colorado tree and I think they're gorgeous. They turn bright gold in the fall, and have these little sand-dollar shaped leaves that look like they shimmer in the wind. We also want to plant a vegetable garden so we can harvest our own veggies for dinner. We want to plant lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, and lots of other stuff! And I want to plant flowers in our front yard. I'm so excited for SPRING!!!!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Why do you want to grow vegetables if you're part of that co-op thing?