Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Snow Day!!!

It started raining around 4pm yesterday, then hailed around 5pm, then started snowing at 6pm. Two hours later, we already had 4-5 inches on the ground! It was snowing so hard, we couldn't see the neighbors' houses across the street. Last night many public schools announced they were closed for the next day, and all our evening activities were cancelled, so we went to bed praying for a snow day. And our prayer was answered! At 5am this morning (ugh) my phone rang and I immediately knew it was a snow day. And I was right! I kind of wish it had happened later in the quarter, because I don't have any homework to do. But I guess I'll get ahead on some reading, and just enjoy my day :-) I called into work too, because I didn't want to dig my car out of a foot of snow. It's such a strange snow too, it's sticking to everything. Every tree branch looks like it's made of ice and the fences are coated in an inch of snow. So absolutely everything looks white. It's beautiful! All these snow days are very unusual here. DU didn't have a snow day for something like 5 or 6 years and last year we had one snow day, and this is our third this school year. I think I'm getting spoiled!

Yesterday I had my third class, anatomy. I had the professor before as a lab coordinator, and she seemed really mean. But surprisingly she was really nice. She admitted that anatomy is really boring, so she told us to bring coffee to class. Though anatomy can be really dry, I'm very very excited about it. This is something that will be extremely helpful in my future career, and will help me in graduate/PA school too. In lab for that class, we will be dissecting cats. Each week we'll work on a different part of the cat. It's already been skinned for us (lovely) so we don't have to worry about that. I'm a little nervous, and also intrigued. As a scientist, you really can't be squeamish about that stuff.

I have decided to actually read the textbook this quarter. In any of my science classes, I have never read the textbook. I have used it mostly for reference and for practice problems at the end of the chapter in chemistry and genetics. But already this quarter I have realized the benefit of reading the textbook. I went into the first day of nutrition ahead of the game. I followed the lecture very well and I already had a good idea of what she was talking about. So instead of feeling like I was constantly barely hanging on and almost grasping the concepts, I was right there with Dr. Sadler. In anatomy, I didn't read before the first class, but I've already caught up after the first class, and I'm working on the reading for Thursdays class. We cover a lot of material since the classes are 2 hours long, so it's a lot of pages to get through. It's important for that class because there are a lot of pictures and drawings that you really have to sit there and study. We don't have time to do that in class. I may decide it's not worth it later on, but for now I'm going to keep reading.

No comments: