Monday, February 1, 2010

Produce Co-op

Skip to the next paragraph if you're squeamish or don't like animal testing. So today I got to work, and they handed me a dead mouse. My job was to cut off the legs above the femur and peel away all the flesh and muscle so that just the bone was remaining. Easier said than done. The bones were so tiny you had to be really careful not to snap them right in half. And the flesh is slimy so it's hard to pull it off with forceps and scissors. But I did it! Then we took 7 mice, 4 bones per mouse, under the hood and extracted the bone marrow. This means cutting off both knobby ends and sticking a tiny syringe inside and flushing out the marrow with liquid media. It took 2 hours to do all 7 mice. I had my very own mouse to work on. They gave me a strain that they weren't actually doing any experiments on so I could practice without worrying. I did so well that they let me help with the other 6 mice. It was so exciting!

Okay, no more mice. Daniel and I signed up for a produce co-op today. It's called door to door organics. It's in many states around the country, including Colorado. They deliver the food right to your door. They have bitty, small, medium, and large boxes. You can get just vegetables, just fruit, or a mixture. And it's all organic and local. I think they have a deal with Whole Foods or something like that. Anyways, we ordered the Bitty vegetable box for $22.66 plus $5.00 for shipping. It comes with carrots with tops, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, celery hearts, broccolini, beets, squash, collared greens, and 3 lb. of yams. We switched out the beets for oranges and the collared greens for braeburn apples. And you can add more food for a per item cost. We added lemons for .25 each and oranges for .50 each. We get a box every Wednesday, and you can switch up to three items out and add as much as you want. You can even add organic meat,
cereals, condiments, and other groceries. You can also cancel a shipment if you don't want one, or change which box you get from week to week. We're excited to see how it turns out! It may end up being too expensive, but we'll see how much food actually comes in it. I'm trying to eat more veggies and organic and local is even better!

No comments: