Saturday, February 6, 2010

Long week

Everyone I've talked to has said that this was a long week. It seemed to go by so slow and each of my classes seemed extra boring this week. I almost couldn't handle it. Maybe that's because this is the first week I've actually attended every chemistry class. I'm very proud of myself :-)

Daniel and I finally got to the DMV and now we are Colorado residents in every sense. We finally got our Colorado license plate. And interestingly, Colorado requires a plate on the back and the front. We had no way to attach it to the front so we had to drill holes into our car. That made me a little nervous, but we didn't have much of a choice.

I was very busy at work yesterday. I didn't have one minute to relax except for my 20 minute lunch. I also got paid! That made me happy. I'm getting to know the other people at work and they are all so nice to hang out with. It makes work really pleasant. And a lot of lab work is somewhat repetitive so once you get the hang of it, you can talk and the time goes by a lot faster. I've also realized that I definitely need to bring my iPod. It is so much better doing tedious work while you're listening to music. I had a little scare where I thought I really screwed something up. We clip the tails of newborn mice so that we can genotype them. Whoever clipped the tails put them in the wrong kind of tube. They don't fit in the machine. So I had to take probably close to 200 tubes and label all new tubes and using forceps transfer the little piece of tail from one tube to the other. It only took me a couple hours, and I didn't mind. But there was one point at which I had a tail piece in BOTH 91 tubes. There can only be one mouse 91 tail clipping. So I was in trouble. I just put one piece back in the old 91 tube and threw it away. A few minutes later, I discovered that 97 was missing. Oops. I put 91 in 97 and pulled 91 out of the garbage. That was the real 91. And immediately after that, a janitor came to take out the garbage. Close call.

My mom is coming to Denver in less than 3 weeks! I'm so excited. I want to show her the lab and our house and everything in Denver. Well, maybe not everything.

All my classes are still going well, I got As and Bs on every single midterm. I haven't done that since freshman year! I hope I can keep it up. We're over halfway through the quarter, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

No comments: