Monday, October 12, 2009

Rockies!

Last night I went to my very first ever baseball playoff game! It was so exciting and so FREEZING COLD! Daniel's fraternity brother Evan signed up for the lottery online to have the chance to buy tickets for the playoff games. He won the lottery so he bought 4 tickets for Saturday night and Sunday night's games. Me and Daniel and Paul all wanted to go. He bought Rock Pile seats which were only $10 (plus $7 of fees). We woke up on Saturday morning to see our backyard covered in snow and beautiful snowflakes falling! This is unusually early for this kind of weather in Denver, but as they say here, it's Denver! You never know what kind of weather you'll get. So it's kind of ordinary in that it's unusual. Anyways, they cancelled that night's game because it was so cold and snowy and icy. That game was moved to Sunday night when it was a whole degree warmer! At first pitch it was a chilly 28 degrees. Which I guess "felt" like 19 degrees. We were all bundled up. I wore long underwear, two shirts, a sweater, and a coat as well as ski pants, stocking cap, and gloves. And Daniel and I bought these hand warmer things that felt wonderful inside my gloves. We also brought blankets to sit on because the Rock Pile has metal bleacher seats. We climbed up to the very top row in the Rock Pile. It was an incredible view up there. I really liked our seats. The atmosphere was incredible. Even though it was so cold, everyone was excited and cheering, including us. I was pretty comfortable for the first hour or so, and then I started to get pretty darn cold. By the eighth inning, I lost feeling in my toes and my fingertips despite the hand warmers. I think the cold actually fueled the excitement because it was warmer to be standing up cheering and moving around. I can't imagine how cold the players must have been down on the field. We could see the outfielders sticking their hands in their pockets and shivering. It was a very exciting game full of hits and runs. It was tied in the eighth and then the Phillies got a run, so they won. It was a close game though which made it so much fun. I didn't even get tired, though the game lasted over 4 hours and ended around 12:15am. We didn't get home until after 1am, and I had class this morning at 9. But it was all well worth it. Not many people get to experience that atmosphere, and I feel very lucky that I did!

No comments: