Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lots and Lots of snow!

We heard a few days ago that a huge storm was going to hit Denver, but I was not expecting this at all! Usually the weather station will say expect 6-8 inches of snow, and we end up with like 4. So when they said up to 2 feet, I thought it was a total exaggeration. We woke up Wednesday morning and our backyard was already covered in a couple inches.

One of my professors lives in the foothills, and they get a ton more snow than us. He had already cancelled class in anticipation of the storm. So I had one hour of class from 9-10, then I didn't have another class until 1pm. I didn't want to wake up early and sit around for 3 hours, so I just skipped my morning class. Instead, we slept in and played with Jackson out in the snow in our backyard. I took Daniel to school at 11 and then drove to the DMV to get a new license. I thought it was time to get a Colorado license, and now that I'm over 21, I need a new one anyways. I also registered to vote in CO and became an organ donor. Luckily it wasn't too busy. Probably because the roads were so scary! I definitely feel myself becoming a Colorado resident. I'm not afraid to drive in the snow anymore, and it has to be in the 30s before I really consider it cold. I thought it was so funny that everyone in Phoenix was talking about how cold it was at 60 degrees lol. Anyways, I got back to campus and got some lunch before my class at 1pm. At around 12:30, I got a phone call, a text message, and an email all at once. It was DU's alert system saying that the University was closing at 2pm! Unfortunately, I still had class from 1-2, but my lab from 2-5 was cancelled.

Daniel and I drove (carefully) home and had a very relaxing evening. We started beef stew and let it simmer on the stove all afternoon. I caught up on my morning class (which I have missed 3 in a row) and got some homework done. The snow just kept coming down. Daniel shoveled our driveway because we couldn't even get our car to drive on the slippery snow. In a couple hours you couldn't even tell he had ever shoveled it. We watched as our patio set in the backyard was overtaken by the snow, and the lawn mower was completely covered! It was so fun to watch Jackson. He had to jump over the snow to get around. And every time we threw a toy for him to fetch, he spent 5 minutes digging in the snow before he found it. It seems like he really likes playing in the snow.

We went to bed last night and woke up this morning to more snow. It's STILL falling. It's been about 36 hours now. Continuous heavy snow. We're at about 14 inches now and another 4-6 inches is expected by this evening. DU cancelled classes today, which means my weekend started at 2pm yesterday. I really really needed this break too. I'm going to take advantage of the extra time to get some homework done and get ahead on the last few weeks of the quarter. This time of the quarter things get really crazy with papers, tests, presentations, etc. It feels like a gift that we got a few days off of school with over a foot of gorgeous snow covering the city. It's just completely white everywhere you look. I'm glad that I won't be out trick-or-treating in this weather though! We're going to go make a snow man in our front yard :-)

No comments: