Saturday, April 30, 2011

Second interview!

I got a second interview! I am so excited and incredibly nervous. This is it- this could be my first full-time real grown-up job! I was able to get some of the inside scoop from my friend who is also interviewing for the job.

First of all, she also got a second interview. Second of all, there are 2 positions open, just like I thought! She also found out that they originally interviewed 14 people, and narrowed it down to 5 for the second interview. They will pick two of those 5. She seems to think we have a pretty good chance. Her sister told her some funny stories about how terrible the other interviews were. The next interview isn't until May 9! I'm going to go crazy in the next week. I'm already dreaming about it every night. For that interview, I will meet one hour with Dr. Holger Eltzschig, and one hour with Dr. Tobias Eckle. That seems like a really long time to talk one-on-one. I think they're having us interview with both because one position would be under Holger, and the other under Tobias. I think only one position works with mice.

There have been a few other interesting developments on the job front. My friend/supervisor at work, Laura, was accepted to CU for the PhD/MD program. That is an incredibly challenging program, and very difficult to get into. But I knew she would get in. She's practically a genius. She studied for the MCAT the day before she took it, and scored in the 95th percentile. Many of my other friends are taking the MCAT for the 3rd and 4th time to try to get their scores up. Anyways, she was accepted and she has the option to start in June or August. June= really soon! And that means, the lab may be looking for someone to replace her as soon as June! Laura hinted to me that I may have a chance at that position. She told me that Ivana is talking to David about hiring me. It seems that they really want to keep me in the lab, and this position opening up may be my ticket to stay. But only if she ends up leaving in June. That doesn't leave them with a lot of time to find a replacement, which helps my case. In addition, if I don't get the job in the Holger lab but Megan does, then Ivana will need to hire someone to replace Megan- again, that could be me. So basically there's a lot of shuffling going on in both labs. This makes me feel much better. A week ago, I thought the Holger lab job was my only chance at having a full-time salary when I graduate. Now it seems like there are potentially 4 different jobs I could end up with. Or I could end up with none. And I may have to decide between staying, or going to a new lab. If I'm lucky, I will get them to fight over me and offer me a higher salary.

All of this change is so scary, and exciting at the same time. My other supervisor, Judy, had a hard time hearing us talk about all this yesterday. Since Ashley put in her 2 weeks notice yesterday, Megan and I are interviewing for another job, and Laura was accepted into Medical school, that's 4 people all of a sudden that may be leaving the lab within about 6 weeks. That leaves her without much help. And it's just sad. We all get along so well and I love hanging out with everyone at work. It's going to be a difficult few months ahead of us. Who knows what will happen? But I know this is really exciting too. I am beginning my career!

No comments: