Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I have a JOB!

I have a job! I am so happy I can hardly believe it. After weeks of worrying, applying for jobs, interviewing, and wondering if I will be completely broke when I get out of college, today I know for sure that I will have a job on graduation day!

When I walked into work this morning, Laura told me that Ivana wanted to talk to me. This is unusual, since I rarely speak one-on-one with Ivana. I knew something was up, but I had to wait almost 2 hours until she was out of a meeting to speak with her. And she offered me a job! Basically, since Laura was accepted into medical school, they need to hire someone to replace her. And they want me! They didn't list the position, they don't want me to apply or interview, they're just giving it to me! We're keeping this quiet for now, because some of my co-workers would be a bit upset about this. There is no reason to upset anyone until I've made a decision. They still want me to go ahead with my second interview next week and see what happens with that. Basically, they really want me to stay so they are willing to negotiate if I get a better offer with the Holger lab. I couldn't be in a better position!

Right now, I am being offered a temporary position because I am only staying another year or two. So I wouldn't exactly be a PRA (professional research assistant), but something like a "trainee." This is usually the position they give people right out of college. The salary is about 25K, but that's negotiable. Ivana is working really hard to give me a better offer, especially if the Holger lab offers me more. I think it's very likely I could end up somewhere around 30K. But honestly, I don't even care. I am so thrilled that I will have a job to go to the Monday after graduation. Not just any job, but a science job. A job that I care about and is in my field of study. And if I choose to stay, a job with people that I like and respect.

If I do get an offer from the Holger lab, I will have a big decision. Laura is already campaigning for me to stay. Of course there are benefits to staying: I already have seniority, I know that I like my supervisors and co-workers, I have gained the respect of my superiors, I know how things work here, I know exactly what I'm getting myself into, and there is a lot of flexibility as far as my hours and time off. But there are drawbacks too: I will have to work to reestablish myself as no longer a "student," I will be doing the same work that I have been doing for over a year, I won't expand my network and meet new people in other areas of research. Either way, I will be in the same building on the campus of the University of Colorado. Our lab is moving to the same building that the Holger lab is in around June. Either way I will work for the University that I hope to attend for graduate school. I'm assuming that the salary will be about the same, since I think that my current lab will match any offer I get somewhere else. The benefits will be the same as well with health coverage and everything. The benefit of working in the Holger lab is meeting new people, starting fresh as a full-time professional research assistant (not a trainee), and learning more in different areas of science. However, I do feel a sense of loyalty to my current lab. They have invested in me. They've spent months teaching me how to work in a lab. I came in with very little experience, and I am incredibly grateful for everything I've learned there. It will be very hard to leave.

I'm so thrilled that I was given this opportunity. Obviously they like me and they want me to stay! By the end of next week, I will know where I'm working for the next year and what I will be making. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

The Wickershams! said...

If there is one thing I have learned in my 15+ years working in the real world is that loyalty to your employer isn't worth it. I know that sounds harsh and I'm not saying it because I'm bitter but the only thing it has gotten me is a slower climb up the compensation ladder. You stick with a company through thick and thin because you believe in them or because you believe that they have invested or taken a chance on you and then you realize that when push comes to shove you are always just a salary to them. You won't make anywhere near the progress without moving on and you'll be surprised how little it does to the relationships you have with the people there.