Saturday, May 14, 2011

GRE: Check!!

Still no word on the job. I'm working really hard on the patience thing. It doesn't come very naturally to me. I did find out that my co-worker Megan was offered the other job. So that means every single one of my friends at my current job is leaving within the next month. Which makes me want to leave too! It also brought out my competitive streak. I will be a bit embarrassed if I don't get the job. After talking about it for weeks and telling everybody how much I want this job, it will be terrible if I don't get it. I think I need to start bracing myself for that moment. Every time my phone rings I think it might be them calling to tell me I got the job! Or calling to tell me I didn't. I'm not really sure how those things work. Do you still get a phone call if you didn't get the job? I guess I'll find out... possibly. Anyways, Megan got offered the other job and I am sincerely happy for her. I know she must be thrilled about it, but she was so careful not to show it when I talked to her. She also didn't volunteer the news, I had to ask her. I appreciate her modesty. She also let me know that she would tell me the instant she hears anything. At first when I asked her if she heard about the job, she hesitated. It was probably obvious since I asked that I hadn't heard anything. She probably thought that I didn't get the job and didn't know yet. But I explained to her that Dr. Eltzschig told me he was waiting to hear about funding, so he wouldn't contact anyone until next week. Then she relaxed a little bit. So I shouldn't really be so antsy, it's going to be at least Tuesday before I hear anything. Three more days!

In the meantime, I took the GRE test! I feel like I've been preparing for this for so long (it's only been about 12 weeks) and I'm so glad it's over. I did extremely well! Better than any of my practice tests, and well above the average for accepted students into my top choice PA school! I should be out celebrating like Daniel did after his GMAT. He drank so much that night, he threw up repeatedly and spent most of the night in the bathroom. Yuck. Maybe it's a good thing I stayed home tonight. My scores are quantitative (math): 740 and verbal: 670. The average for CU is quantitative: 672 and verbal: 534. Hopefully my test scores will make up for my lowish GPA. I'm starting to feel like I might actually have a chance of getting into CU! But I'm also really okay with going to Midwestern. I am excited about the possibility of moving back to Glendale. I guess I'll have to wait and see what God has in store for us.

Something else I haven't written about in a while is the wedding! The planning may be on the back-burner for now, but rest assured it is always at the front of my mind. I dream about it constantly, both during the night and while sitting in class :-) I just can't WAIT! I know I should be focusing more on the marriage, and relationship, and blah blah blah. But Daniel and I have spent 8 YEARS working on our relationship. Now I want to enjoy the fun part! I should qualify that: we have been researching pre-marital counseling programs, and we will be starting that this summer. So don't worry, we're still being our responsible selves. I am also really looking forward to the honeymoon. I definitely need and deserve a vacation. I realized that it has been months since I've done anything fun. Probably Spring break was the last time. Daniel and I don't go out that often since we're poor college students. And between classes and work, we just don't have time to do fun things. But that will change very soon because I'm flying to Indianapolis to spend the weekend celebrating my sister's graduation! I am so excited to spend some time with her and the rest of my family. But mostly her.

Another thing that's been on my mind lately is the possibility of going off birth control. If this is too much information, then just stop reading. But, as a scientist, I can't help thinking about all the artificial hormones I'm putting into my body. What are their long term effects? Nobody really knows. Since contraception has only really been around since the 1950s, and today's birth control is so different from what was available back then anyways, the long term effects haven't been well studied. I don't even know what it's like not to be on birth control. I mean I've been taking it practically since I hit puberty. Daniel has been trying to convince me for months now to go off all hormones. But the possibility of getting pregnant is absolutely terrifying. I just don't trust anything but birth control to keep me from getting pregnant. And let's face it, a baby would change just about every plan I have for the next 3 years. So.... where does that leave me? I haven't made a decision yet. Maybe I should do more research before I decide. But part of me wants to just try it and see if I feel different. Maybe my mood will improve, or I'll lose weight. Or maybe I'll get mood swings or I'll gain weight. Ha. I hadn't thought about that.

No comments: