Wednesday, May 18, 2011

No job offer

Well, I didn't get the job in the Holger lab. I got an email after 2 long days of waiting for a phone call or email. Phone call means I got the job, email means I didn't. Every time my phone rang, I was on edge. I just got a form email saying I wasn't selected for the position. Kind of a surprise after 2 interviews and everything. But It's such a relief to finally know and I am surprised by how okay I am about it. I thought I wanted this job so badly, but it turns out I'm satisfied with how things worked out. That's probably because I feel incredibly grateful to be graduating with any job at all- let alone a job in my field of study, and that I already enjoy. I read somewhere that only 1 in 3 graduates this spring will have a job. So for me to have 2 offers is being a little selfish anyways. And now I can move on and focus on what the Schwartz lab has to offer me in the next year. I will be able to have 2 1/2 years of one job and one employer on my resume, which I think will look great going into graduate school. I already get along with everyone and have proven to my employers that I am a great worker. Everybody at my workplace likes me and respects me. I know how things work, and I actually have quite a bit of seniority already. I am excited to see what the next few months will bring. Our entire lab is moving to the University in the next month or two, so that will be hectic and crazy! I'm still going to try to negotiate with my employer to see if I can get a higher salary. They're offering me 25k which is barely enough to pay the bills. It will be difficult to live on that for a year. But of course we'll make it work because we have to.

In other news, my senioritis is worse than ever. I skipped one class yesterday, and every time I drive to school I'm calculating how soon I will be leaving again. It's really not that bad, and I know I should be cherishing these last few weeks. I am going to miss school once I'm gone, but for now I'm ready to go! I have 7 school days left. Seven. I finished my last big assignment and midterm, so I'm just coasting until finals. School takes so little effort that I find myself with huge chunks of time with nothing to do. I don't have very much class anymore, I'm still working part-time, and I have very little homework. So I spend lots of time playing with Jackson, baking cookies, cooking dinner for Daniel, and napping. I've even gotten quite bored lately.

Normally this time of year we spent lots of time sitting outside under a shady tree, but the weather has been so crazy. Rain, rain, and more rain! I mean we haven't had a clear day in weeks. Literally. It rained today, yesterday, the day before that... and there is rain in the forecast every day for the next week. I just don't know when it's going to end! It's kind of nice because our vegetable garden is growing like crazy and everything is bright green. But I'm kind of tired of having to wear a rain jacket every day instead of pretty sun dresses. And the rain has kept it relatively cool. Normally by now we're having 70-80 degree weather, but with the rain we're barely breaking into the 60s. I'm sure it'll end soon enough and I'll miss the sound of thunder and rain hitting the roof as I fall asleep.

No other big news in the Rosen household, just waiting for graduation day! 17 days to go!

No comments: