Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Job Interviews!!

In the past 24 hours I have been offered TWO job interviews! Hallelujah Jesus! They are both research jobs at the University of Colorado- on the same campus as the PA school that I really want to get into. The first one I was offered late last night, and the interview is this Friday afternoon. This lab I'm not so sure about... just look at this picture

I'm not really sure I would fit in, but I'm going to do my best to get a job offer anyways! I need a job and at this point I think I would be so lucky to get a job in a research lab making a decent salary with benefits at a major university. So after spending all night celebrating that I got an interview, I went to work this morning and got a phone call from another lab asking me for an interview. This one will be next Tuesday morning. I have applied for so many jobs, I wasn't sure which lab this was. But this afternoon I finally had time to do some digging and here's what I found out.

This lab is PERFECT for me! Here's why: it collaborates very closely with my current lab! The lab that's interviewing me, the Holger lab, has sent people over to present research to us. We have also sent people over to them. We work on projects together, and exchange information and protocols. It even says right on their website that they collaborate closely with the "Schwartz Lab" at National Jewish! That's my lab! Not only that, but one of my friends in my current lab has an identical twin sister that works in the Holger lab. What a coincidence. Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Holger work closely together and know each other very well. I'm sure that they read my resume, saw Dr. Schwartz, and that's how I got the interview. Besides the fact that every skill I've learned in my current job will directly translate over to the Holger lab. It's practically the same lab. How awesome is that?!! The past year I've heard all kinds of things about the Holger lab and what they're doing and I never dreamed I would be applying to work there.

My biggest fear now is that once again they will dismiss me when they realize that I'm applying to graduate school. I need to think hard about how I'm going to handle that. I'm absolutely not going to lie. I don't feel comfortable at all lying about it. But I really hope they don't ask at the same time. I'm sure that Dr. Holger speaks with Dr. Schwartz regularly, and I just asked Dr. Schwartz to write me a recommendation letter for graduate school! I really hope I don't lose this awesome opportunity. I am so excited. I can hardly wait for the interview!

No comments: