Wednesday, April 13, 2011

School Randomness

Jackson is driving me crazy! He won't leave me alone. Last night I was in bed, ready to go to sleep, and he brings his disgusting mud-covered tennis ball and drops it right on my lap, on our (white) bedspread. Gross! Our house would be a million times cleaner if it wasn't for him. Especially now that he's shedding insanely because the weather is getting warmer. And our vacuum seems to have a big problem picking up dog hair. I tried to vacuum the stairs this weekend, and I ended up on my hands and knees digging the black hair out of the carpet because the vacuum just stopped sucking it up. Not my favorite chore. I've felt this intense need to obsessively clean every corner of our house lately. I think I'm getting anxious because I know we're having lots of people over in just 7 weeks. Of course, 7 weeks is plenty of time to clean! So I need to just calm down and wait like 6 more weeks.

I got my first mid-term of the quarter back, and I did very well! Or in my professor's words, "excellent!" The average was a 73, and I got an 84. It's so strange that I struggle in all of my science classes except genetics. Whenever we're covering genetics, I just get it. I still studied like crazy, and it's not like I got 100 percent, but I did very well. It's also interesting that the lab I work at is a genetics lab. I wonder if I'm good at genetics because I've had so much practical experience in the lab, or if I enjoy working in a genetics lab because I'm so good at it in the classroom. It's probably a combination. Either way I find it fascinating, which makes sitting in a lecture 3 hours a week much easier. Psychology, not so much. I find cognition incredibly boring. It is so difficult to sit for 2 hours listening to a lecture about thinking and attention. The professor doesn't help. She is a very boring person even when she's not talking about cognition. And instrumental analysis isn't that interesting either. We have our first mid-term today, so I'm hoping that goes well.

I've decided I don't really like our schedule this quarter. Daniel has class every night until 10pm. I have class during the day, and he has class at night, which means we hardly get to see each other. We might get to have lunch together a couple days a week, and we spend Sunday together most of the time. But during the week it's really difficult to have any time to spend together. It gets kind of lonely in the evenings, but I try to remind myself that this is just for a few more weeks. Once I'm out of school, I'll be working and Daniel will just attend school during the day like a normal student instead of trying to fit in 20 hours of work a week on top of graduate school. Then we can come home and have dinner together like a normal family.

I've been seriously neglecting my GRE studying. I'm out of class at 2 today, so I'm going to make myself work on it at least for a few hours. I'm taking the test in about a month, so I want to take 2 practice tests a week from now until then. The idea is that the more practice tests I take, the less freaked out I'll be on that day. It'll be just one more in a long line. I hope that theory works because I know my own stress is going to be my biggest obstacle to overcome. It always is. Of course, I have good reason to be stressed. This one test could mean the difference between getting accepted to CU or not. Which means the difference between living in Denver or not. Which means the difference between moving out of our lovely little home or not. It also could mean the difference between getting into any graduate school or not. Which means the difference between becoming a physician's assistant or not. This one test could determine my entire career for the rest of my life. Okay, I'm freaking myself out instead of calming myself down. Let's try to forget all that and just focus on doing well.

Have a lovely Wednesday!

No comments: