Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Second Interview

Wow, this interview was completely different. It went so great! I think I am perfect for this job, and very well qualified. The energy felt great, I was confident and answered all their questions well. I wouldn't change anything I said. The best part is that the one year requirement didn't even come up! So let me start from the beginning....

As I walked into the conference room, my friend Megan was leaving. I didn't know she was applying for this position so I was kind of surprised to see her there. But it makes sense because her twin sister works in that lab. Of course she knew about the opening. That kind of decreased my confidence because I thought my experience in the Schwartz lab put me at a big advantage. Well, Megan is also from the Schwartz Lab. So there goes my advantage. However, my supervisor Ivana took the initiative to email the lab yesterday about me. She copied me on the email and wrote that I had a positive attitude, attention to detail, and was hard-working among other things. Ivana didn't write them anything about Megan because apparently Megan didn't tell anyone she was interviewing for this position. I talked to Laura, my co-worker, and she (as well as Ivana) was very surprised to hear that I saw Megan there. I guess she asked for the day off for "family reasons." So I kind of gave away her secret, though I never knew it was a secret. The email Ivana sent kind of gives me a leg up. In addition, this position involves work with mice which I know Megan has little to no experience with. I have worked with mice a ton, so that should help. But I'm sure that the fact that Megan's sister already works there helps her chances too. I would be happy for her if she got the job. I don't have any bad feelings towards her at all. Actually, in the interview they asked if we got along and I said of course. It made me wonder if they might have two positions open.... but I may be reading into it too much.

Also, as I was leaving one of my classmates was arriving for his interview. More competition. I think that knowing the person before me and after me makes me feel like I have more competition. But I know the guy who interviewed after me has no experience with mice either. I'm not sure he has any real lab experience either, but he might. They said they are interviewing today and tomorrow, so they must have at least 4 or 5 candidates. All I can do is hope they liked me!

They didn't have my resume, which was kind of strange. Somehow it didn't end up in my application. But they asked me for an interview anyways, just based on my cover letter. I guess the name "David Schwartz" has magical powers on any application! I emailed them my resume as soon as I got home, so they have it now. I know I should have brought it with me, but I haven't needed it in the last few interviews I had. There were 4 people there, 2 of them I have met before. One is married to a woman in our lab, so I met him at our Christmas party and we talked for a while then. The other person I knew is there lab manager and she had come to one of our lab meetings to present her current research. I'm not sure she remembered me, but I remembered her. We talked a lot about what I've done in the Schwartz lab the last year and a half. They were interested in my project and who I worked with. They asked some of the same questions, like why I'm interested in this position instead of staying at that lab. I had the same answer: there isn't a position open, but even if there was I am interested in seeing what else is going on in research and expanding my knowledge into other areas. They also asked about my career goals, and again I was pretty vague about it. I said that I still didn't know since I haven't even graduated yet. I've done research for the past year and I have really loved it so I know that's what I want to do for now. I will eventually go to graduate school, maybe PA school. They seemed to like that idea and even gave me some ideas of how this job could be a good stepping stone to reach that goal. They said I could shadow at the children's hospital and gain access to many other departments on the campus there. They didn't ask any questions about timing or anything like that- what a relief!

One interesting thing they mentioned is that this job would require working with the mouse colony about 2 days a week. That means showering in the facility, and spending all day in the vivarium. They asked if that would be a problem since it's very monotonous work. I told them I have no problem with routine. I sometimes like the repetitive work, it appeals to my organizational side. I asked them if I would be asked to present at meetings or conferences, and they said I probably would but only every 6 months or so. I explained that I am very comfortable speaking in front of people as long as I'm prepared and have something significant to say, which they all agreed with. We talked about how their work compares to what I have been doing- it seems that their lab involves many more organ systems (while our lab focuses on pulmonary and immunology). I was excited about that because it means I can learn more. I figure the broader my knowledge before graduate school the better. They asked if I wanted to stick to pulmonary, and I told them either way. I'm sure there's more I can learn in pulmonary, but I'm also excited about learning new things.

There was an interesting side conversation about managing motherhood and career. They asked why I was interested in PA school instead of medical school and I told them that besides the time and cost, I wanted to start a family and wasn't prepared to put it off long enough to finish medical school. They understood that very well and one of the interviewers explained that she is the mother of an 11-year-old and 5-year-old and finds it difficult sometimes to balance. So I asked her a few questions about that. I did make it clear that children were still a few years off for me though, since I'm just getting married this December.

They made it clear that this position would involve little to no administrative duties (ordering, inventory, re-stocking supplies, dish washing). That's fine with me, although it's one of my strong points. I'm just so excited about this opportunity. The job sounds unbelievably perfect for me, I just hope they see that as well. I can't believe I have to wait a week to hear anything back. I hate to admit it, but I will be devastated if I don't get this job. I don't know what I could do differently to get hired- I have every skill they need, I have great recommendations from my current employer, and the timing issue with graduate school (which is usually the sticking point) didn't even come up. If I don't get hired, I am going to have to really consider some other options- like retail or something that pays significantly less, and has nothing to do with my field of study. I go back and forth between daydreaming about what it would be like to work in this lab, and forcing myself to realize that there is some serious competition and it's a long shot. I'm trying to bring myself back down to earth to avoid the heartache if I don't get this position, but I can't help it! The interview went so well and I am perfectly qualified for this job!! I want it so bad! I'm on constant pray mode until I hear anything! Please Lord help me get this job!

No comments: