Sunday, May 30, 2010

Living in Anticipation

I had a realization yesterday. Lately, I have been living my life constantly in anticipation. I'm never actually present, but always biding my time until the next good thing happens. Whatever the "good thing" is, it almost always involves family or friends back in Phoenix.

What made me realize this, is that I have been neglecting finals, and focusing on getting through the next few weeks until we travel to Phoenix. And before that, I was biding my time until Daniel's family came to visit. And before that, I was just waiting until I could go home for Easter. And before that, I was looking forward to my Mom coming to visit. It has felt like my life has been a series of anticipating the next event. And that is an absolutely miserable way to live.

Think about it: I wake up every morning, just trudging through life. I am not really enjoying anything here. Things I used to enjoy like taking care of our home, playing with Jackson, spending time with friends, and even class have become one more thing to do before I get to go home again. I am dying to move back there. And every time Daniel tells me that it just may not happen, I get really depressed. I don't know if I can live my life this far away from our family. Especially when we have kids.

I'm not sure if I should try to change my attitude, and try to enjoy my life here for now, or do what I can to get through the next 2 years so that we can move back to Phoenix. I will probably be much happier if I can learn to live with my life here in Denver. But it feels like every time I spend time with my family, it hurts even more when we leave. This sucks. I should be so excited about my new job, and our little family. But all I can do is wake up and count down the days. 6 days from today we leave! I will be so happy.

No comments: