Monday, September 28, 2009

Rush Weekend

This weekend was spent entirely focused on Theta Chi. I wasn't actually planning on spending too much time at Rush, but as it turned out I did. On Friday, Daniel has a full day of classes and then he spent the evening at house tours. Paul was working, so I was home all day by myself. It was actually very nice to have the house to myself. I got a lot of work done. Daniel asked me to pick him up at 7:30pm and then we were going to go to a party thrown by his tuba professor for the whole brass department. I went to pick him up on campus, and house tours weren't done so I hung out until the last group finished. When we got back to our car, it wouldn't start. We weren't sure what the problem was, but called campus safety to jump us just in case it was the battery. That fixed it, so we drove home instead of to the party downtown.

The next day we spent running errands. We took Jackson to the groomers to get his nails filed down so he wouldn't scratch us anymore, went shopping at Costco, and bought a new battery for the car. Costco turned out to take a lot longer than we thought. They had a little booth there with cell phones and Daniel has been very interested in getting a new one so he stopped to take a look. Then we saw a sign for DirecTV. We have been looking into DirecTV for a few weeks now, but have never made a decision. So we let the salesman give us his pitch, and we went for it. I am so sick of the TV cutting out and having to adjust the antenna every time we change the channel. When you're splitting the monthly cost 3 ways, it isn't that expensive. It took a long time to go through all the paperwork and everything. I could tell Daniel was very concerned about the commitment and the cost. I was a little concerned too. But we genuinely can afford it. And our roommate(s) can afford it. They are coming on Friday to install the box. I am so excited! I have never appreciated cable television this much.

That evening Theta Chi planned a poker night at school. I drove Daniel over there and helped him set up. I wasn't planning on staying, but once I was there all the guys wanted me to stay. They served us a delicious dinner and it was really fun. It ended pretty early, so we went over to the President's apartment afterwards to have some drinks. I must have eaten a lot of food because I had like 3 drinks before I even started to feel it. One of the brothers knew how to make a bunch of different drinks. I had a "slippery nipple" and a "tequila sunrise." They were both actually really good. Though the slippery nipple was a little too strong for my taste. We were lucky our roommate Paul came and didn't drink at all so he was able to drive us home. We just left our car at the apartment complex.

The next morning Paul drove us to the light rail at 9:30am. We met two other brothers there and took the train downtown. We wanted to get as many tickets as possible for the Rockies game that afternoon. They have a special section called the Rock Pile that are only $4 a seat. But those tickets go really fast. So we got in line at 10:15am and the ticket booth opened at 10:30am. We got 16 tickets, which was just perfect. Then we went into the ballpark and watched batting practice. Around 11:30 we went out to a hot dog stand and got some lunch. That is the first time in recent memory that I have eaten food from a stand on the street. It actually was pretty okay. It put me in the mood for baseball. Around 12:45pm the rest of the guy showed up with the prospective brothers. It was so hot sitting in the outfield. We had the sun beating down on us the entire game. It must have been 95 degrees. I got a really bad sunburn and a sunglass tan on my face. The game was really good. Lots of close plays and the Rockies won. After getting to the field at 10:15am, the game felt like it lasted forever. At 4pm, Daniel and I left even though there were 2 innings left. We were exhausted. And we still had to walk to the light rail, take the train to DU, then walk about 15-20 minutes across campus to the apartment complex where we left our car the night before, and drive 10 minutes home. We didn't get home until about 5pm and I passed out in bed. I was not feeling well. I got up an hour later to eat dinner and I was feeling a little bit better. I still don't feel great today. I really don't want to get sick. I'm going to try hard to get lots of sleep and eat well so that I don't. Midterms are next week and this is the worst time to get sick.

My grandparents called on Saturday and were so happy about the scrapbook we sent them. I miss my grandparents so much! I am really excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We will be in Phoenix for about a month. This year for the very first time, my cousin and her husband and one year old baby are coming to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. We have had the same 9-10 people every Thanksgiving for my whole life. It's so exciting that they are coming this year! Also, right before Thanksgiving Daniel's mom, Aunt, and Abuela are coming to Denver to visit us. And then we have Christmas, and right after Christmas my ENTIRE family is going to Disneyland together. Me and Daniel, my parents, Nicole and Mike, my grandparents, my great aunt and uncle, my aunt and uncle, my cousin and her husband and baby, my other cousin and her husband..... that's so many people! Then we go on a cruise with Daniel's family. It's a very family-filled holiday season this year! It's going to be fun!

In the more immediately future is midterms. I have two really easy tests this week, and two really hard tests next week. I actually skipped class today because it was a review session for the really easy test. I have spent this time studying for my brain exam tomorrow and playing with Jackson. He is so demanding of attention. When he is left alone, he rips anything to shreds he can find. This morning we left him for one hour and he ripped all of our mail to pieces in the living room and backyard. I think we may have to start putting him in a crate again while we're gone. But it's his own fault. I'm going to catch up on some more homework until I have to go back to school in an hour and a half. I feel so productive right now.

No comments: