Thursday, November 6, 2008

A terrifying evening

My dad called me this evening and told me that my sister was in a car accident. Immediately I thought it was just a fender bender, but then he told me the details. Nicole was the least hurt, and she fractured her heel/ankle. She told me that it's swollen to the size of a baseball. She has a splint and is using crutches to get around. Worse than that, Mike was injured badly. His spleen was ruptured so he was rushed into surgery immediately. He's expected to be fine after a few days of recovery in the hospital. The other driver was not so lucky. He isn't expected to live. He was only 16 years old.

Luckily, it's nobody's fault. Both insurance companies will take care of the costs. I feel so relieved that Nicole is okay. But guilty, because the other driver was not. And this whole thing has made me realize that I care about Mike simply because I care about Nicole. And I don't want either of them to be hurt. I don't think I have ever wanted to speak to my sister as badly as I have tonight. Her phone was broken in the crash, so there is no way for me to contact her. She finally called me a few hours ago and as soon as I heard her voice I started to cry. Ugh. I hate crying. But I'm so glad she's okay. I can't imagine how she is feeling. When she mentioned the ride in the ambulance it was like wow this is real, she was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. She must have been terrified; I know I would have been. And I know that I wouldn't want to leave Daniel's side for an instant. She said that her and Mike were separated immediately at the hospital. But they let her see him for a second before he went into surgery.

I wish I could be there with her. At least she has some family there to take her home and take care of her for a few days. Of course Nicole is worried about a test she has tomorrow. I'm scared for the day that she comes home for Thanksgiving and she's on crutches. I don't know if it will take that long to heal. I hope not. I couldn't stand to see that.

Pray for Mike. And the other driver's family. As difficult as my night has been, theirs must be a million times worse.

No comments: