Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's cold today!

Well winter is definitely here! It's cold outside! I think it's like 35 degrees. Brrrrr!

I had a pretty terrible afternoon. Apparently my insurance company has almost no providers here in Denver so it's impossible for me to find a doctor in this area that will take my insurance. They told me that there were no family practice/general practitioners within 45 miles of my dorm. That's ridiculous! It's not like I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm 15 minutes from downtown Denver! I spent like 2 hours on the phone calling my insurance company and then a bunch of different doctor's offices, trying to get an appointment before I have to go back to Phoenix. I was so tired of being put on hold and speaking to rude people who didn't have the answers to my questions. I finally called an office that's for hispanic families like 20 miles away. It's not too far, so I'll deal until I get back from Christmas break. And maybe I can practice my spanish. ha.

Then I went to turn in the paperwork for my passport. I was actually really excited because I am going to Mexico in December and then Europe (!!) in the summer and this is one step closer to both trips. I got my picture taken at Walgreens on Monday. I went back 90 minutes later (they said it would be done in an hour) and the pictures were still not ready. I was so irritated because we took a special trip and they weren't ready when they were supposed to be. So today we picked up the pictures and went to the post office. We waited at the post office for 30 minutes until someone finally helped us. Then we got up there and the lady told me that she couldn't take my paperwork because I had a copy of my birth certificate and not the real one. She was really rude about it too. I thought it was a certified copy, but apparently it wasn't. So all of that was a total waste. 3 hours of my afternoon were completely wasted on the phone and waiting in line. I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown. All day I have had terrible customer service. It makes me want to make sure that whatever job I have, I am friendly and courteous to every person I help.

So I came home and went to bed. It made me feel better to get under the covers and just be by myself. When I woke up, it was time for dinner. I went downstairs and a bunch of my friends were eating dinner so I joined them. That turned out to be a great decision because it cheered me up right away. There was a group of like 10 RAs (and me) all sitting together and it was like one big family dinner. Then some of my closest girl friends invited me to Starbucks. And I agreed. It makes me realize how much I've changed since high school, or even a year ago. In Boston, or in high school, I would have just gone home and watched TV or done something by myself. But now I like to spend time with friends. We celebrated the first cold day of the year with some hot chocolate. And we made plans for celebrating the end of finals! We want to get dressed up and go out for a nice dinner with just the girls. We are going to P.F. Changs and then The Melting Pot for dinner. I am such an extrovert! I amaze myself.

2 comments:

Chris Wickersham said...

You might try and remember that while you are getting your passport for a whirlwind tour of Europe, the people who were irritating you so much are probably in a bad mood because they are having to decide whether to buy milk for their kids to eat or gas for their car so they can go to work. Remember Christ told us that second only to loving God, the most important thing we can do as Christians is to love our neighbors.

Nicole said...

How can you afford such expensive dinners all the time? Mike and I are excited when we get to eat at Applebee's!