Saturday, January 8, 2011

Why I Love Colorado

Today we drove up to the mountains. Daniel's dad and brother are here to ski for the weekend at Breckenridge. Every time I drive to the Rocky Mountains I am reminded why I love living here. On a beautiful clear day like today, the mountains are gorgeous. They're covered in snow from our big storm last weekend. I feel so lucky to live in a city like Denver. The climate is very mild in the city. When it snows, it immediately begins to melt. Even in the middle of winter, we get days of 50 degree weather. And in the summer, most of the time it's in the 70s and 80s. Within 2 hours of our home there are over 5 ski resorts. We have these beautiful mountains that people come to from all over the world. We get to drive a couple of hours and enjoy a day in a mountain town. Even though I don't enjoy skiing, I get to sit by the fire with a hot chocolate and my kindle. There's even places where you can go snow tubing, and a frozen lake with a driving course so you can slide around on purpose! In the summer, these mountains offer beautiful hiking, rock climbing, fishing, white water rafting, and horseback riding. There are so many great places to visit- Silverthorne has a great outlet mall, Boulder is a great hippie town, Golden has the Coors brewery, Vail is an upscale ski resort, Fort Collins is a fun college town, and Colorado Springs has the Garden of the Gods. Any time of year you can get into your car and just drive. In the summer you can see the wildflowers and elk, in the fall you can see the golden aspens and hear the elk bugle, in the spring you can see the bighorn sheep, and in the winter of course is the snow-covered peaks, and the falling snowflakes. I love it here. The whole state is young, active, eco-conscious, and healthy. I want to stay here forever.

No comments: