Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I'm sitting in class right now during an interminable presentation. She's halfway through and has been speaking for 20 minutes. I'm going crazy. My presentation is next. If I don't kill myself first.

Yesterday I learned how to do IP injections. I've seen them done a million times, but I've never actually done them. If I did them wrong, I would kill the mouse and ruin the experiment. So this time we took mice that weren't being used for anything so I could practice. It's pretty difficult. You have to hold it a certain way so it won't bite you, and they're so squirmy and hard to catch. It's one more skill that I can add to my resume and use as collateral for a raise. I'm trying to work up the nerve to ask for a raise in January. I will have worked there for one year in January, and I'm already paid a ridiculously low wage for the work I'm doing. I am doing real work without close supervision, that takes a lot of skill. So I think I deserve a raise. But it's really hard for me to be assertive and ask. I'll work on it.

School is wrapping up very quickly. I have the rest of this week, and next week, and finals are that weekend. I'm so excited for the holidays! I love Thanksgiving. It's been too long since I've seen my family. I'm so excited that Nicole is graduating and I'm really excited to spend time with her. Over the break we are going to enroll Jackson in doggy day care. Today he's there on a trial basis, just to make sure he does okay. You get the first day for free before you can make reservations. I know he's going to love it. And I'm glad because he will be tired and happy when we pick him up. It's only $20 for 12 hours. I think that's really affordable, especially if it's only for 5 or 6 days. So when we're sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner with all the people and excitement, we don't have to worry about Jackson jumping up on people, or barking, or chasing the cat. If it goes well, then we will board him there while we're on our cruise in December. Daniel and I love watching him on the web cam while we're at school. There are a lot of black dogs, so it's hard to pick him out sometimes.

We have started planning our honeymoon and I am beyond excited! I'm just starting to realize how expensive it's going to be, but I feel like this is our chance to go all out and do something totally exotic. Right now we're planning on about $6000 for 10 days in Egypt. Including the flight. If we keep our wedding costs down, we should be able to use the leftovers to pay for the entire honeymoon. Some of our plans are to ride camels into the desert and have dinner with a Bedouin family, go snorkeling or scuba diving in the Red Sea (maybe even with hammerhead sharks or whale sharks or dolphins!), sail on the Nile River, and of course seeing the pyramids, tombs, etc. I'm so EXCITED!! It's in a little over a year. That's not that far away, I can wait that long.

The other development as of late is my future career. I have, for the moment, decided to go to PA school before having children. I'm hoping to take one year off after college, work for that year at National Jewish, and then go to PA school for the 2-3 years that takes. Then hopefully Daniel will be able to support us for that time, and save up some money for our family. That, of course, is subject to change. But for now I'm happy with that plan. And I know everybody else is too. Especially Daniel. He keeps telling me he's not ready to have children. And I respect that. I don't want to force him into that before he's ready. It won't be nearly as much fun.

No comments: