Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sister time!

Nicole left this morning and now I'm sad :-( and lonely. I have two days to pass the time until I get to drive back to Phoenix and spend another week with her. Fortunately, I have two final exams to study for, a short paper to write, and lots of packing and cleaning to do. I think I'll be able to keep busy.

I took my first final exam yesterday and it was ridiculously easy. Like, I'm kind of sad that I wasted any time worrying about it at all. But it's over, so I'm completely finished with one class- and I know I got an A in that one. I have one exam in about an hour that shouldn't be too hard, if the review is very similar to the test. I'm really worried about tomorrow's. Mostly because if I do well, then I will do well in the class. And if I don't..... you get the picture. So I need to spend some time today studying for that. And on top of all that, I started studying for the GRE. I have to take it for PA school or any other graduate school. I thought it would probably be really easy since the SAT was so easy. But I didn't want to just go in blind and take the test without knowing anything about the format or what kind of questions are on it. So I bought a review book yesterday. Nicole and I sat down and took a quick look at some math problems. The first question said x^2 = 16 then asked if x = 4. Naturally, I said yes. And naturally, Nicole said no. She explained to me how x could equal 4 or -4. So this is going to be harder than I thought. I continued to get 5 questions in a row wrong. The hard part is that the math section has these questions called qualitative comparison. Where they give you two quantities (like x and 4) and then you have to say if A is bigger, if B is bigger, if they're the same, or if there isn't enough information to determine. In this case, the answer is D because you don't know if x is positive or negative 4. They are SO HARD!! And they try to trick you! Consistently, Nicole was getting them right and explaining to me why I was wrong. I think I need her to tutor me over the next few weeks, at least in the math section. I guess I'm a little rusty since it's been 3 years since I've taken a math class. I'm so glad I bought the review book.

While Nicole was here, she played in the bell choir with me. That was fun because everybody got to meet her. We also got our nails done, baked cookies, and watched Oprah. Just like old times :-) I took her into the lab to meet some of my co-workers and see some of the stuff I've been working on. Then last night we drove out to my boss's house for dinner. A bunch of the girls from work went over there. She lives in a huge cabin in the middle of nowhere. It was a good 45 minute drive out of the city with no street lights. It felt like we were out in the wilderness. It was fun to hang out with everyone and Nicole for a little while. And it was good that Nicole got a break from Dad. She's been with him practically 24/7 for an entire week. I could never ever last that long. It's been really hard for her the past few weeks, so I'm really glad she got to stop here for a day and just have fun with me and Daniel. Daniel was absolutely incredible. He told me that he understood that Nicole really needs to spend time with me and not with Dad. So he said that he would spend time with my Dad so that we could spend some time together without him. That was one of the nicest things that Daniel has ever said to me. He offered to do that because he knew that me and Nicole needed some time to talk. He's the best :-) So also last night the four of us pulled out the Christmas tree, and set up the nativity, and decorated the house for Christmas. I love it! I really really want Nicole to come back between Thanksgiving and Christmas and spend some time here. I know we would have so much fun together. I'm hoping that she will get sick of Mom and Dad and need some time away from them. I would not be happy about moving back in with my parents, so I can't imagine she's thrilled about it either. I can't wait to see her again! 2 more days!

No comments: