Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Anniversary and Birthday

My birthday was great, and our anniversary too. The whole weekend was really fun. I think mostly because I got to spend lots of time with Daniel, in which he was not answering his phone or on his computer. We went out to eat at a really fun Spanish restaurant that reminded me of when we were actually in Spain. I want to go back to Europe! That night was almost ruined because our third roommate, Whitney, emailed Daniel to tell him she's moving out too. And she wants to move out on Nov 10 and not pay rent. Which means she gave us about one week to find a replacement roommate, who could not move in until Nov 10, which means we couldn't charge that person for the whole month of November either. Ridiculous! So he's going to tell her she has to pay for all of Nov. Especially because she moved in 2 weeks early without paying rent for that month either. We were both really worried about finding a new roommate, which put us both in a bad mood on our anniversary. But we decided to not talk about it and enjoy our night- which we did! So we posted an ad, and we've already had some interest that seems promising.

Then the day after my birthday we went out for sushi. Sushi is my absolute favorite now, I want it every time we go out to eat. It was really crazy because the waitress asked for my ID when I ordered a drink, and she noticed my birthday was the day before, and she said that she has the exact same birthday- day and year. So weird! I was kind of disappointed because my birthday didn't really feel like a special day. I still had to go to class, and take a really hard midterm. But Daniel got me flowers and all the text messages and facebook messages made me happy.

Work is definitely the best part of my life right now. I love what I'm doing- still. Last Friday, I got to work for hours in the BRC (where we keep animals). Working with animals is my favorite. I put together mating pairs. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds. I had to fill out 30 cage cards (say what is in the cage, who it belongs to, etc.) and put one male and one female in each of 30 cages. But you can only open cages under the hood to keep them sterile. So it was a lot of putting a cage under the hood, taking it out, putting a new one under, etc. A lot of juggling cages and tops. And at one point I got bit really bad. I held onto a mouse a little too long and he turned around and bit me until I dropped him (in a cage, thank goodness).

Registration for next quarter is coming up, and I had a difficult time figuring that out. There are 3 classes that I have to take to graduate, and those add up to 9 credits. I need 12 to be full-time. The problem is that I still want to have time during the day that I can go to work, and those 3 classes are really hard. So I need a fourth class that is not very time-consuming and easy. Solution: piano lessons! Piano is 2 credits for half hour lessons, and 4 credits for one hour lessons each week. So I will be full-time by adding just one hour to my schedule. Daniel told me it's really difficult to get a spot, but I emailed the graduate students who are teaching next quarter and one already added me to her schedule. I'm s o relieved and excited! I love to play, and I've never taken lessons from anyone except Mary. So this should be really interesting. I'm also going to take a one credit class that works on resume, cover letter, interview skills and career options in chemistry and biochemistry. Hopefully that will give me some direction in my career goals.

No comments: