Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Misogynistic Article in the DU Clarion

Read this article that was published in our school newspaper:
http://issuu.com/DUClarion/docs/1.12.10

The article is on pages 8/9 and is entitled "7 women you meet at DU." This article has caused a
lot of controversy on campus. A group of students made a facebook group describing the article
as mysogynistic and calling for the resignation of the editors and the author. After about 5 days,
the author eventually did resign. The editor posted a very unapologetic apology that was more
of an explanation and defense of the article. The author also defended himself by claiming the
article was supposed to be satirical and was never meant to be taken seriously.
Most students, especially women, were unsatisfied with that explanation and continued to post
comments on the online version of the article. They had to take it down because of the comments
it generated, so the only place you can find it now is the link I posted.

To see the apology and resignation from the author, go to

http://www.duclarion.com/opinions/letter-from-the-author-regarding-seven-women-you-meet-at-du-1.1076698

To read the apology from the editor go to:

http://www.duclarion.com/letter-from-the-editor-regarding-stuart-cobb-s-seven-women-you-meet-at-du-1.1012485

And to read an awesome article about the whole controversy by my friend Nate, go to

http://www.duclarion.com/opinions/letter-to-the-editor-mocking-gender-stereotype-backfires-1.1076696

I am kind of surprised at the response that's been generated. I really don't like the article at all, but I don't think that the resignation of the editors or the author is necessary. I think they made a terrible mistake, and they have definitely learned their lesson. Like Nate said in his article, it was more a mistake of terrible satire than actual misogyny. Cobb, the author, didn't make it obvious enough that the whole thing was sarcastic. I think the article is more than insulting to women- it's insulting to our entire University. What does it say about DU that the only women that go here are easy sluts who are skating through life on Daddy's checkbook? I think that's insulting to everybody that attends DU. Anyways, this article has caused a lot of students to be very upset and I wanted to put in my two cents. I'm sure it'll blow over soon enough. I wonder how long it will take before Stuart Cobb can get a date. I'm sure that will take longer than a few weeks.

No comments: