Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Loving Life!!

Well everything is going splendidly. My classes are going well, I love my new job, and I'm having a blast with my roommates.

First, classes. I took my first midterms in two of my three classes and they both were very easy. I got a 91% in physiology! I can't remember the last time I got an A on a test in a science class. It just doesn't happen very often to me, or anybody. And the average wasn't even really high on the test. So I'm way above the curve. I haven't gotten my genetics test back yet, but I think I did really well in that too. The third class I'm taking, Analysis of Equilibrium Systems/ Chemistry is a total joke. I attend it about half the time because every time I go, I feel like I'm sitting in on a high school chemistry class. It's just a waste of my time. I was worried about keeping up with my classes with a job, but so far it's going really well.

Second, my new job. I've had two weeks there, and every time I go I love it. The people there are so nice, everyone is relaxed and casual so I don't feel intimidated at all. I'm learning so much about laboratory procedures and genetics. Yesterday Judy (a Ph.D.) taught me how to count cells. I know it sounds easy, but it's not. There's a little grid you put under the microscope that helps you count accurately, and then you have to do a bunch of calculations. Anyways, she taught me thoroughly how to use it. And when I made a mistake, the first thing she would say is "that's fantastic! that's how you learn" so I didn't feel bad at all. It would have been so easy for her to set it up for me, tell me to count, and then do the calculations herself. But she didn't. She is committed to helping me learn. So I really feel like I'm contributing to the lab and earning my money. Oh, and I got my first pay check in over 6 months. That was nice too :-)

Finally, life in general. Living with Hope and Eric is even better than I thought it would be. Just about every evening we cook dinner together, we sit together to eat, we talk about classes and friends, and life. Hope and I bake cookies, banana bread, and lots of other yummy goodies. Pretty much every weekend night and some weekday nights we go out. Last weekend we all went to see Avatar and out to dinner. We also go grocery shopping and run errands together quite often. Last Wednesday we went to Starbucks and helped Hope brainstorm ideas for a scene she had to write (she's a theatre major). Last night we all collected in the kitchen and made smoothies (with a couple shots of rum for good measure lol) and danced to Lady Gaga. And that was a weeknight. Hope and Eric play with Jackson and help us take care of the house. It's absolutely perfect. I love college.

No comments: